Behaviourist Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Behaviourist Question

I didn't want to hijack Kev's thread about behaviourists, but I have a question on this topic. I am looking also to use a behaviourist for my dog and my question is should the behaviourist be seen anywhere else but in the home?
I spoke with someone from our local Humane shelter and they wanted to meet with us at their location, but was willing to meet with us at our home for an additional fee.
I don't have issues with paying an additional fee, but I just think that in my situation it might be better to have them come to my home.
Is there a standard for this? Are there questions that I should be asking them in terms of qualifications?
To give some background, My dog has been having some issues with barking (only in the home) and also has a fear of reflections. I sense that he is fearful but does pretty well outside of the home. So in my situation I feel that the issues are all home related and would be better analyzed in the home.

Bear GSD 10/16/11
Elsa GSD 12/23/03 - 11/10/11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
The behaviorist we go to varies the location. She has 2 different fields at her home we use, as well as a local big, busy park we meet at and the option of the training facility. The location used for the particular appt is the one that fits what we are working on at the time.

Is this the initial evaluation appt with the one you found? Are they going to attempt to replicate the issues there? If you aren't comfortable with them and/or already disagree with methods, I would say continue your search for a behaviorist.

Additional fees are required by some, many times labeled as mileage etc. As for what to ask - Ask for references of past AND current clients. What is their experience working with GSD. Do they have work with a vet. How comfortable to do you feel with the behaviorist?

The one we are working with started with about 1 - 1 1/2 hour phone conversation, followed by a 10 pg questionnaire, then the evaluation appt which was about an hour or so. I will add to find the one we go to, we went through some very interesting times talking with trainers/behaviorist - from some that was visibly nervous around Woolf to one that was a lawsuit waiting to happen for us with the methods he described.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Twyla, I guess I'm thinking the initial evaluation should maybe be at our home, where I believe most of the issues lay. I called two places, The first being our local Humane Society and the second was a recommendation from one of my client's.
The Humane Society has some great programs, which we are participating in right now, but I guess I am unsure if I would ultimately go along with what they might recommend. The other behaviourist that I contacted (I haven't heard from them yet) from reading their website sounds great, but radically varies from the current methods that we are currently using.
I guess I will need to speak with the other first and make my decision.
Should they be certified in some way?

Bear GSD 10/16/11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 03:48 PM

For your issues, since they are home based, the behaviorist should indeed come to your home.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEROtic View Post
For your issues, since they are home based, the behaviorist should indeed come to your home.
NEROtic, Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Do you have anyone that you would recommend in the Denver/Boulder area?

Bear GSD 10/16/11
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 04:07 PM

Not in Boulder, no. I can ask if the woman I would recommend (she works in the eastern plains) if she can make some good recommendations.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Not in Boulder, no. I can ask if the woman I would recommend (she works in the eastern plains) if she can make some good recommendations.
Thank's that would be great whenever you get a chance.

Bear GSD 10/16/11
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 04:56 PM

I'll probably see her over the weekend, but I have a bad memory so if I don't get back to you resonably quickly feel free to send a reminder via PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
I'll probably see her over the weekend, but I have a bad memory so if I don't get back to you resonably quickly feel free to send a reminder via PM.
Thanks, I will do that.

Bear GSD 10/16/11
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear GSD View Post
Twyla, I guess I'm thinking the initial evaluation should maybe be at our home, where I believe most of the issues lay. I called two places, The first being our local Humane Society and the second was a recommendation from one of my client's.
The Humane Society has some great programs, which we are participating in right now, but I guess I am unsure if I would ultimately go along with what they might recommend. The other behaviourist that I contacted (I haven't heard from them yet) from reading their website sounds great, but radically varies from the current methods that we are currently using.
I guess I will need to speak with the other first and make my decision.
Should they be certified in some way?
Years ago I contacted a behaviorist from my local humane society about issues with a dalmatian I found. They weren't really bad issues, but they spent some time on the phone with me and were right on target with solving the issues. I could have made an appointment but I was able to fix the problem without doing so. It was a good experience and I always recommend people I know to the same humane society.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page