need advice on how to stop german shepherd guarding - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

need advice on how to stop german shepherd guarding

OK I'll start from the beginning, i had a 1 year old German shepherd male. last summer we had him on the front porch at night with us all the time with no problems what so ever. now fats forward to present he is roughly 3 years now and we have a 1 year old female intact plush shepherd. she was very timid from day 1 and afraid of everything. in public places she will stick to your leg like glue if other poeple are around and will flinch back when some one tries to pet her but will come down after they make contact. on leash she lunges and barks at other dogs. off leash she is a coward and wants nothing to do with other dogs. she will literally hide between my legs if another dog or person is around us. now to the main and biggest problem the front porch wheneer she see's a dog go by she starts barking aggresively and will literally try to snap her leash to get at them. and even more troubling is she has started barking at a black family that passes every night and today she again lunged and barked at a little girl that was trying to come up the steps to give us a flyer. i have started to train with a e-collar which has helped stop the barking form her but now my older shepherd thta i had no probelm with before is starting to bark at everything now, and it eggs her on to start barking. please any advice or tips would be great. i should also note she is very food motivated inside the house but outside she will spit the food back out. even if its a steak dinner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Knighted Member

Why is she on the front porch. Based on the other things you said about her fear, she can not handle that situation and the e-collar may stop the barking but won't solve the problem.

You need to find out how to deal with a fearful dog.

You may never be able to have her in some situations.

The front porch is only making it worse for both your dogs.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Master Member

You need a few sessions with a private trainer or behaviorist. Look into LAT training. She needs to gain confidence so don't use harsh training techniques or a loud voice with her. Look into taking a fun, low pressure class like nosework to keep her busy and let her be around other dogs without having to interact with them. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 04:26 AM
Master Member

You're poor dog sounds like a nervous wreck. Please don't use the shock collar on her. It may well stop her barking but only because she's more scared of that than everything else. It will makes matters so much worse in the long run. She may well become fear aggressive towards dogs and people, as she may associate the shock with the other dog or person - not her behaviour.

You dog needs slowly desensitizing to the things she fears. Keep her in the house and back yard away from triggers for a least a few weeks to allow her to de-stress. The fact that she is reacting so badly and won't accept treats shows that she's too close to her triggers.

In the meantime I would take a look at the following articles and educate yourself on how to deal with her behaviour.

Help For Your Reactive Dog

ASPCA - Virtual Pet Behaviorist - Dogs Who Are Reactive on Leash

http://www.4pawsu.com/onleashaggression.htmhttp://www.diamondsintheruff.com/onleashreactive.html

Leash Aggression: Help! My On-Leash Dog Barks and Lunges at Other Dogs!

Pawsitive Feedback's Dog Blog - www.pawsitivefeedback.com: What is a Leash Reactive Dog?

Pawsitive Feedback's Dog Blog - www.pawsitivefeedback.com: leash aggression

You may also want to get the following books:

'Feisty Fido' by Patricia McConnell and Karen London
'Scaredy Dog' by Ali Brown

It would be best to ask your vet to refer you to a Veterinary Behaviourist with your dog as she may need medication to calm her anxiety. In the long run, it may well be cheaper, quicker and less stressful for you and your dog to work with a professional.

Personally I would have her checked for a medical problem as she is so fearful and always has been. Take a look at the following:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/assessment-of-hypothyroidism-as-a-factor-in-behavior-problems/page1.aspx

The tests are very reasonably priced at about $80 if you post a sample to this blood testing clinic.
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/HEMOPET.HTM

I hope the above is useful to you, as the longer it goes on and the older and more reactive she gets - the harder it will be to deal with.
_______
Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page