Treat Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Treat Training

We started Abby in Obeidence classes and so far shes doing awesome but everyone else is the class does treats. Abby has never been a treat trained dog. Well I went and bought some wellness lamb and salmon treats to try with her last night at class. All did not go well about 30 mintues after I gave her some treats for doing what I was asking of her, her eyes started swelling. I wasn't too worried as they didn't look bad after another 30 min they were swelling shut. Needless to say I took her home and I called my vet and he had me give her 50mg of benadryl and make sure to watch her breathing. Her breathing was great but she wouldn't get off the couch. This morning she is back to her usual sweet self but her eyes are still swollen. My question is other than hotdogs or dog treats what can I use for treats? She is a ball dog but won't touch her ball while we are there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Crowned Member

Wow, that quickly, huh? What do you think the allergen was?
I use freeze dried beef treats that are meat only. There are several types on the market.
TheNaturalDogShop.com - Dog Supplies, Dog Collars & Treats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Knighted Member

Do you know of any food allergies she may have? I know Raina is allergic to lamb. I use L.I.T. Venison and sweet potato treats. They are crunchy and live in the pocket well. I have also cooked my own liver and chicken to use for treats but find they are very messy to use for long classes. Also, cheese was very popular with some of the dogs in our classes. Freeze dried liver has always been a favorite in class but I figured my dogs would get tired of the same thing all the time and switched up now and then.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post

Wow, that quickly, huh? What do you think the allergen was?
I use freeze dried beef treats that are meat only. There are several types on the market.
TheNaturalDogShop.com - Dog Supplies, Dog Collars & Treats

Yes it happened very quickly My vet said it was either the lamb or the salmon in it
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratemom View Post
Do you know of any food allergies she may have? I know Raina is allergic to lamb. I use L.I.T. Venison and sweet potato treats. They are crunchy and live in the pocket well. I have also cooked my own liver and chicken to use for treats but find they are very messy to use for long classes. Also, cheese was very popular with some of the dogs in our classes. Freeze dried liver has always been a favorite in class but I figured my dogs would get tired of the same thing all the time and switched up now and then.

She is only 8 months old and I had no clue she was allergic to anything but I have only ever fed her Natures Balance synergy or low cal food and she never got treats before except a few pieces of cheese here and there. Now i am scared to death to try anything new
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Here she is after we got some benadryl in her
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-18 20 51 31.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	18013  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones5254 View Post
She is only 8 months old and I had no clue she was allergic to anything but I have only ever fed her Natures Balance synergy or low cal food and she never got treats before except a few pieces of cheese here and there. Now i am scared to death to try anything new
I understand. Raina went 3 years on the same basic food switching only from puppy formula to adult formula when suddenly with no change in diet became allergic to all kinds of things. I had a blood test done and we eliminated the food allergens but had to do the auto immune booster shots to eliminate the airborne stuff. It all came on so suddenly I was sure it couldn't be the food but sure enough when we switched to one that had none of her allergens it made a big difference. Lamb is a big allergen for her along with pork, turkey and duck. Then there's the grain -no rice, barley, wheat, or corn. It took awhile to find a good food that worked for her. My pet food store was nice enough to give me sample packages instead of having to buy entire bags of new food. Maybe it was just the lamb that got to your girl if you are lucky. I would always keep benedryl around if she had that fast of a reaction though just for first aid.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:30 AM

I'm glad Abby is doing better now! What a scare!

When you mentioned that everyone else in class is using treats and that your dog hasn't been a treat trained dog, it brought some things to mind.

I was always told that the dog chooses the reward. It's our job as a trainer to find out what motivates our dogs, food or toys, and use what our dogs really like as their reward.

If she's a ball dog but isn't interested in the ball at class, it might be because she's too distracted. The environment is winning her attention.

Have you taught your dog to tug? A lot of people use tugging as a reward. If you choose to teach your dog to tug, the dog should also know "out", if the dog gets it, it needs to return to you with the tug. Don't let the dog get it until you give it the command to do so.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

yes we tried tug as well and it's only her second class so everything else has got her attention LOL. Her reward at home is the ball or me She normally will do anything to hear good girl. But cause everyone else was using treats I felt bad cause she wasn't getting any but she really didn't care that she got them once I gave them to her. She ate less than a small handful when I started noticing the reaction.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 02:57 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

You can always use her kibble as training treats. Look at the ingredients of her regular diet too, if she's fine eating the Natural Balance food, anything in it should be fine too.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page