My Parker needs a job! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Red face My Parker needs a job!

So Parker is now 4 and a half months old and his current job is to follow me around and play with the other puppy we have (6 months old) Ive noticed some threads have lots of amazing jobs for their GSDs. Teaching Parker any of those would be a miracle i would say

anyways, some background on his training, he's gone to two obedience classes and knows to sit, lay down, heel etc. He's potty trained. Hes got a lot of energy just like any puppy would. hes very smart, i can see it in the way he acts and opens doors when he wants to go in a certain room. Hes treat motivated, but gets tired of certain treats very quick. He knows to come when asked to. He is NOT good at fetching :/ but chases the ball/toy down and leaves it.

any simple jobs/games anybody can help me with? or any guidance toward a game i could incorporate slowly to him and hopefully do it completely later on?

just anything would help lol

Proud dad of:
Parker-My first WGSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ruka-Shiba Inu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

anything?

Proud dad of:
Parker-My first WGSD

Ruka-Shiba Inu
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Knighted Member

The nice thing about a German Shepherd dog is that the sky is the limit in what you can do with them. They are so smart and excel at so many things that you can do pretty much anything you have the motivation to do with your dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 10:00 PM

Smile treibball

My gretta is 5 months old and in a clicker training class. Anyway, the other day the instructor brought out one of those big exercise balls (you know, the ones you can sit on and do sit ups) Anyway, she gave Gretta a weighted one, one which had sand in it due to her size. The job is to get her to push the ball with her nose or body but not to bite it or use her paws. There's something called triball (I know that's not spelled correctly) but it's where you teach dogs, especially herding breeds, to push the balls into a goal. We started by having her touch the ball with her nose, click and reward. After she figured that out we put a few treats under the ball and she pushed the ball off with her nose. We had a good time and she seemed to really like tring to figure out how to get the treats. Don't know if we'll ever get to pushing the ball into a goal, but you know, as smart as shephards are, we have a pretty good chance. Just an idea of something you can do with your beautiful little pup!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Crowned Member

Fetch/tug (your pup may not fetch, but it's still a fun game) - use 2 tugs, put ropes or leashes on the tugs - hold both tugs - run ahead and drag one tug behind you - when pup grabs the tug - give a little tug on the line - then drop the line and quick run with the other tug - the idea is that the pup will come running with the other tug and drop it to go after the one that you are dragging. Be sure to let the pup "win" at the end and give him a treat after he gives up the tug. You can also try playing with 2 balls: throw one ball - when he goes after that -and pounces on it - immediately throw the other ball. He may be so surprisd that he'll come running to the second ball with the first ball still in his month - the beginning of learning to fetch.

Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Fetch/tug (your pup may not fetch, but it's still a fun game) - use 2 tugs, put ropes or leashes on the tugs - hold both tugs - run ahead and drag one tug behind you - when pup grabs the tug - give a little tug on the line - then drop the line and quick run with the other tug - the idea is that the pup will come running with the other tug and drop it to go after the one that you are dragging. Be sure to let the pup "win" at the end and give him a treat after he gives up the tug. You can also try playing with 2 balls: throw one ball - when he goes after that -and pounces on it - immediately throw the other ball. He may be so surprisd that he'll come running to the second ball with the first ball still in his month - the beginning of learning to fetch.
This is what I do with a stick when we play outside off leash. I find several sticks, throw a stick, puppy runs after it, I start walking in opposite direction, when the dog gets the stick and saw me walking away it runs after me. I hold out another stick. Dog runs after the stick in my hand, I drop when she's near enough to catch in her mouth. Then I throw another stick immediately, she runs after that stick... repeat the rest. This back and forth tires her out very fast but she loves it! Once you get a rhythm going you can go for a long time if you start out with enough stick in your hands and pick up the ones she drops while she goes after the one you threw out.

For proper fetch, I throw a ball, dog goes after the ball. Somehow get the dog to come back to you or walk towards the dog and grab the ball while it's in the dog's mouth. Then mark and treat. Dog begins to associate ball giving to you = treat. Eventually dog will come back with the ball to you to get the treat. Then you've a fetch!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Gotta say this works. Lucky learned to fetch this way. The Trieball suggestion is great. Especially as he loves to chase.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:36 PM

We started obeidence but my trainer mixes it up with agility and she loves it
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Knighted Member

i personally enjoy teaching my dogs 'tricks'. ex. play dead, shake (physically like they're shaking off water), crawl, roll over...we are working on 'be shy' right now (where i tell them to be shy and they lie down on their sides and cover their eyes with a paw). good mental stimulation. we work for about 10-15 minutes a day. a new trick every 2 months or so.

edited to explain how i taught my commands. play dead. basically put them in that position after saying the command. shake. a sprinkle of water on their coat did the trick now they shake without the water and just the command. be shy (kind of silly/annoying to them) but tickle their nose/whiskers with a finger and they'll cover their eyes.

a bit unconventional but people get good reactions out of these 'tricks'! if you want more let me know. smokey knows probably about 10-15 'tricks'/'commands'. Zeeva is a bit of a slowhead and knows probably 5!

Last edited by Zeeva; 06-18-2012 at 03:45 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

What do you mean by "a sprinkle of water"? I've tried teaching him how to shake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
i personally enjoy teaching my dogs 'tricks'. ex. play dead, shake (physically like they're shaking off water), crawl, roll over...we are working on 'be shy' right now (where i tell them to be shy and they lie down on their sides and cover their eyes with a paw). good mental stimulation. we work for about 10-15 minutes a day. a new trick every 2 months or so.

edited to explain how i taught my commands. play dead. basically put them in that position after saying the command. shake. a sprinkle of water on their coat did the trick now they shake without the water and just the command. be shy (kind of silly/annoying to them) but tickle their nose/whiskers with a finger and they'll cover their eyes.

a bit unconventional but people get good reactions out of these 'tricks'! if you want more let me know. smokey knows probably about 10-15 'tricks'/'commands'. Zeeva is a bit of a slowhead and knows probably 5!

Proud dad of:
Parker-My first WGSD

Ruka-Shiba Inu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page