Getting my GSD to completely submit and relax - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to StickyJargon
Getting my GSD to completely submit and relax

If anyone watches and follows Cesar Milan (The Dog Whisperer) methods here i was wondering if they could help me.

Before I go for a walk i try and completely calm my dog down making him sit and stay until i think she's submitted, like Cesar advises, if that happens I put the leash on her but as soon as i do that she returns back to her excited, alert self, I've then opened the door and waited up to 30m just to see her relax but the whole time she is alert and excited, of course if I take her out like that she pulls me out the door and makes the walk a nightmare, chasing cats, staying by my side but slightly pulling me the whole time.

If anyone has any advice to calm her down before I leave the house or tell me if they've been through the same problem it would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Banned

only the grandest of the Whisperers can make him sit untill she's submitted. how old is your dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyJargon View Post

If anyone watches and follows Cesar Milan (The Dog Whisperer) methods here i was wondering if they could help me.

Before I go for a walk i try and completely calm my dog down

>>>> making him sit and stay until i think she's submitted, <<<<

like Cesar advises, if that happens I put the leash on her but as soon as i do that she returns back to her excited, alert self, I've then opened the door and waited up to 30m just to see her relax but the whole time she is alert and excited, of course if I take her out like that she pulls me out the door and makes the walk a nightmare, chasing cats, staying by my side but slightly pulling me the whole time.

If anyone has any advice to calm her down before I leave the house or tell me if they've been through the same problem it would be greatly appreciated.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Banned

How old is your dog? Sounds like happy puppy excitedness to me.

Can you exercise the dog before the walk in some way that'll dispel energy?

I like Cesar fine in most regards, but this advice just comes across as sort of odd.? I may not be understanding it correctly.

I'm hearing -- puppy - walk!! fun!! let's go!! Oh NO! why aren't we going? You put my leash on and you're just sitting there?! Why are you sitting there? Mom! Ok, finally mom is going to let me go out! Oh goody, I've been working up for this for THIRTY minutes! Ewwie, ohhhie, yayayayaa GO!

Just playin around, but if this is a *puppy*, this "wait for dog to relax" thing doesn't come across as realistic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

She just turned two recently, it would be hard to exercise her before a walk aswell, i have quite a small garden or i'd play fetch with her to knacker her out a bit. And I wouldn't call it puppy excitedness, its a sort of alert, anxiety based excitedness, she goes crazy when she see's over dogs on the lead aswell.

oh yeah haha her*
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Crowned Member

Are you calm? Because if you are not, the dog will sense it right down the leash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

As calm as i can be, today i did it right after 20minutes of meditation
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Master Member

You can try doing some obedience or mental games first before taking the dog out. Or fetch in the back yard, or a vigorous game of tug. That has helped me since she's still a puppy and if I were to wait till she calms down for a walk when she knows it's coming I'd have to take her out at 2am.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Crowned Member

Is she really that excited where it's causing an problem? Is it to the point where it's getting destructive or out of control?

All my dogs I've ever owned get excited when we go for walks too. I just put the leash on and we go.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyJargon View Post
She just turned two recently, it would be hard to exercise her before a walk aswell, i have quite a small garden or i'd play fetch with her to knacker her out a bit. And I wouldn't call it puppy excitedness, its a sort of alert, anxiety based excitedness, she goes crazy when she see's over dogs on the lead aswell.

oh yeah haha her*
Oh ok! Not a pup.

Whatever you can do to dispel some energy prior cannot hurt & only help. Mental stuff, obedience commands even. Puzzles.

Does your dog ever get to just RUN it out somewhere? I mean, full bore, run? If not, I'd work hard to find such a place to do that. These dogs just get so much pent up energy, they have to have a way to burn that off. Mental work helps, but it does not replace that intense need for serious exercise. If you could find a place and do that several times+ per week, I think you'd see a nice difference.

Add to that obedience work. (Are you in classes?)

When I come home from work, the dogs are pretty ramped up. They want outside. The two crated dogs are let out and the two loose dogs are right there in the mix. The two crated nutballs run to the back door, because they know we're going outside. They sit, even though they are chock full of energy, because they know now that the door doesn't open until they sit. It is actually funny because they are wanting out that door bad, their tails are wagging, their anticipation is over the top, they're whining, but they know they won't get out that door until/unless they do what they have to do -- sit -- wait. To add insult to injury, there's a second door to actually get outside access and they have to do it all over again. I don't make them "wait" long at all -- they just have to sit and be "released." Only takes seconds, really.

Maybe you could try that to start? At two years old, the dog can learn impulse control. Just work to teach him that doing what you want gets him what he wants! I just don't like this 30 minute wait thing. I don't see how the dog is going to "get it" by being forced to wait.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice

She does have very good impulse control, she waits until i say so before she goes out doors, she wait for me to walk through doorways first, its just the energy is never gone, i'd love for her to just walk behind me on a walk without being so alert and without me having to give her a little pull to make sure she's by my side, She's not overly excited but its just not a good combination considering she chases cats, and pulls after other dogs.

I'll try and wear her out before we walk, give her some mental challenges and see how that helps, and yeah we do take her down the field quite often and play ball where she runs at top speed also i take her on late night bike rides quite often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page