How long should I ride my bike with my dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to StickyJargon
How long should I ride my bike with my dog?

Hey i was just wondering how long should it be okay to ride with my 2 year old German Sheppard, at an average pace, she's a medium energy dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 AM
Knighted Member

Other more experienced people up here can give you better advice,but when I started biking with my dog, I did about a mile with her. She was used to going jogging with me and was in good shape from that already.
It's also a good idea to try to position the bike so that they can run on the grass until their pads build up. Some dogs don't have a problem with sore pads,but I've seen a lot of them who do at first.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 01:50 AM
Crowned Member

It all depends on the dog. Some dogs are in great shape and are willing go forever while others are happy to just walk around the block.

If you haven't been biking your dog before, start out slower and go shorter distances, maybe a mile. Over time and if your dog is will, you can build up speed and distance. My dogs will bike 3 miles on a daily basis without breaking a sweat and when I have time, I will go up to 10 miles with them.

I do vary the speed and slow them down when they look tired or seem to be breathing hard.Once they appear refreshed, I will pick up the speed again. I will also start out and end slow to warm them up and then cool them down.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 04:38 AM
Knighted Member

I do about 3 to 4 km at about 10 to 14 km per hour. She could do more but that is the length of my two routes.

She always just trots and I always go her speed. I love biking with her. I check her feet after each time and sometimes put a protective cream on her pads before we go. Never had a problem with her pads from biking.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I would start out slow and do about 1 mile building up to 3-4 miles 3 times per week. Last fall I was doing 3-6.5 miles 3X per week. Since my dogs are very active I never found the need to bike them more than 3X per week. Right now I am biking Deja 2X per week along with all of the other stuff we do and will get her up to 3 miles. If I had easy access to swimming for her I would do that too.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to StickyJargon
Ahhh thanks everyone, she's been quite far last time and didnt seem in bad shape so ill try a mile n see how it goes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page