Operant vs Classical conditioning - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Kev

Operant vs Classical conditioning

Hmmm, I read on a shyk9's yahoo group about operant and classical conditioning and I find it very interesting and decided to share it with the GSD forum.

From Shy-K9's
Classical conditioning and Operant conditioning

"Therefore, the question arises: if you feed a dog who is aggressing, are you rewarding the *aggressive behavior* on an operant level (thus *increasing aggressive behavior*), or are you *changing the association* (for the better, thus eventually *reducing aggressive behavior*) on the Pavlovian (classical) level? It would seem that the two "levels" are working in conflict. In a stressed dog, it appears that the Pavlovian level tends to trump the dog's operant learning ability. Thus, if you take a dog who is very stressed and click and treat while it barks hysterically, you will actually reduce the stress and the barking."

Millview's Bosco 12/15/11 Winter Pup
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Hmmm, I read on a shyk9's yahoo group about operant and classical conditioning and I find it very interesting and decided to share it with the GSD forum.

From Shy-K9's
Classical conditioning and Operant conditioning

"Therefore, the question arises: if you feed a dog who is aggressing, are you rewarding the *aggressive behavior* on an operant level (thus *increasing aggressive behavior*), or are you *changing the association* (for the better, thus eventually *reducing aggressive behavior*) on the Pavlovian (classical) level? It would seem that the two "levels" are working in conflict. In a stressed dog, it appears that the Pavlovian level tends to trump the dog's operant learning ability. Thus, if you take a dog who is very stressed and click and treat while it barks hysterically, you will actually reduce the stress and the barking."
But wouldnt you click and treat AFTER the dog stops barking, reducing the barking behavior?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Kev

I'm still confused about this too.
But from what I understand when you click after the dog stops barking, you are teaching him something like a command so it's operant. Clicking while there is a presence of a trigger, calms the dog down. This would be classical conditioning, you are changing the thought process.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I'm still confused about this too.
But from what I understand when you click after the dog stops barking, you are teaching him something like a command so it's operant. Clicking while there is a presence of a trigger, calms the dog down. This would be classical conditioning, you are changing the thought process.
Kinda cofuseing O.o i can wait until i start attending ABC college! Ill be asking many questions like this! XD
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:07 PM

thank you very much for the link I just dont get how you would click while the dog is barking, thereforeit would bark more for that it was rewarded for doing so zccording to operant conditioning. but classical is connecting an one thing with another. Pleasecorrect me if im wrong ive always confused the two O.o
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Kev

I'm guessing it would be like, the dog is barking because of a trigger and you pair the trigger with a treat to get a new emotion.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing it would be like, the dog is barking because of a trigger and you pair the trigger with a treat to get a new emotion.
ahhhhhhh! ill have totry that and see if it works
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 12:07 AM

Hey there! I actually tried this with Celia on our walk, she is usually pretty aggressive towards this one boxer who barks threateningly at her, and it seemed towork well! She passed by him without a single bark. Now i see how it works x3 thanks
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 02:16 AM

Great link thanks! Now to try it with the pups!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page