Favorite games for mental stimulation - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Favorite games for mental stimulation

So I've been doing "mind games" with Milla and am always looking for new ones to try. I figured it would be neat to see what everyone does with their dogs for mental stimulation.

Right now her favorite is "FIND IT". We play this outside and she has to work to find her favorite ball/stuffy/tug/me or my husband or whatever she brings me. Sometimes it is in the yard, on the tailgate of the truck, in a tree (down low).

Christina

Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12

Kya - GSD 7/15/00-11/3/13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member

I saw this one recently and I'm having a blast trying it out with my boys.

One, two, threes
Get some small healthy treats, or kibble. Hold six pieces in one closed hand, and two in the other. Ask your dog to sit, hold your hands shoulder width apart, about arm’s length from your dog, and then open your palms and say “small.” Only let him chow down if he picks the smaller group—just close your palms and start over if he picks the bigger one. You can hand him the six after he gobbles the two—as an added bonus for choosing correctly. Randomly switch up which hand has the smaller number so he isn’t just learning to choose “right” or “left.” If he’s SUCH a chowhound that he just beelines for either hand willy-nilly, make him wait a few seconds before you say “small” so he takes the time to think. The closer the quantities, the tougher the task: if he can choose correctly between four and five you may need to enroll him in a doggie PhD
Opsoclonus likes this.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post

One, two, threes
Get some small healthy treats, or kibble. Hold six pieces in one closed hand, and two in the other. Ask your dog to sit, hold your hands shoulder width apart, about arm’s length from your dog, and then open your palms and say “small.” Only let him chow down if he picks the smaller group—just close your palms and start over if he picks the bigger one. You can hand him the six after he gobbles the two—as an added bonus for choosing correctly. Randomly switch up which hand has the smaller number so he isn’t just learning to choose “right” or “left.” If he’s SUCH a chowhound that he just beelines for either hand willy-nilly, make him wait a few seconds before you say “small” so he takes the time to think. The closer the quantities, the tougher the task: if he can choose correctly between four and five you may need to enroll him in a doggie PhD
Ohhhh that sounds fun i may just try that aswell!!! One of my favorites is 101 things to do with an object. You can see a vid of it here:

its fun to see what your dog can come up with! I also like you said, like doing find it only i have started burying objects and treats aswell. Ive been training her is tracking and its alot of fun!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

This weekend we worked on which toy was which. I started with just frisbee and a ball. Once we "got" which was which I would throw both and have her sit until I told her which to get. It's not perfect yet obviously but she's starting to get it.

Christina

Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12

Kya - GSD 7/15/00-11/3/13

TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Knighted Member

Find it is my favourite. I think my dog enjoys playing too lol. My backyard is not that big so I'm running out of hiding spots. Same as in the house as I don't allow her upstairs. A few days ago I got a very high value treat and hid it in my husbands shirt pocket. Never seen her search with such purpose before. It was fun to watch.

I like that one with the different number of treats in your hand.

I tried naming objects but I was not very patient. She knows cuz, wabba and sitck because we use those words often.

I`ve been working on her picking up objects when I drop them. Tried a towel, nyla bone and a pop can. Need to move on to keys and a pen.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Master Member

We've done "find it" with Joey's kibble. I "distract" him outside while my husband hides several pieces of kibble. I bring him back inside, say "sook", and he goes right to finding every piece!

Love seeing him in that mode.

Faust von der Graf ("Joey")
13 year old GSD 11-22-05; SchH3
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post

One, two, threes
Haha doggie phD! I think it is a really cute idea! I am going to try it! How did you thought this up?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Crowned Member

These are super good ideas. I do find it with Titan.. it's good nose work before SAR. It's cool because he knows "find it" means he has to find his toy or a treat, which ever I show him before I hide it. vs "search" and "work" for people it makes me smile to see those wheels turning!

I love the number idea! or even teaching names of toys. Gonna have to try some of the others too.. wonder if Titan will do the treat one, he's not too food motivated!

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page