Off the wall training techniques - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Off the wall training techniques

Wondering what other off the wall training techniques people have come across over the years. I really honestly thought I'd heard of them all until the other day.

I was over at a friends house whose adult son still lives at home. He recently purchased a black lab puppy. I really never thought anything of the way they were with dogs because they have a male intact sheltie that will not leave the yard even if you try to coax it out of the yard. No fence, no zone collar, nothing. I was always a bit jealous of them, to be honest. They can be in the house and this dog will not leave the yard.
So anyway, we were over there the other day and my friend did something that totally shocked me. The puppy, who is about 12 weeks I believe, crossed the road when we weren't looking. This is what happened next.
Friend yells "Sophie stay!" and the pup sits down on the grass across the road (I was thinking, "wow, pretty good for a pup!"). Friend walks across the road and continues to say "stay" and then her husband says "You pull her ears good!"

Friend gets to pup, who is still sitting on the grass, watching her (tail wagging, mind you) and she then bends down, spanks the pup and grabs her ear HARD till the pup yelped and said "bad dog! You stay in the yard"

I asked the friend what was with the ear pulling and she said that they do it whenever the pup does something bad... like peeing/pooping in the house. I really didn't want to get into a debate on dog training so I just said "oh, whatever works".

So lets here the stories of your off the wall training that you've come across.

- Berleen -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Knuckles - born 8/21/11 - my big knucklehead
and can't forget Saki; the Golden Retriever, Born 11/07/07
The felines that rule the house - Oliver, Serena, Sakura & Bastian.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Training technique that scared me **** came from a trainer we talked with (no way did we begin with him). His answer for Woolf's FA/DA was to take him to the dog park and walk him up to dogs, step on Woolf's leash and pet the other dog. No way, no how. In the notes we were keeping on each one, we renamed him to Mr. Lawsuit
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Crowned Member

I have heard a couple "off the wall techniques."

I have heard of one trainer who deals with "dominate" dogs by standing over them and urinating on them. Yes this is true.

Another one deals with fear agressive dogs by getting on the ground in the fetal postion and clucking like a chicken. (Last I heard she was bit in the face).

I wonder sometimes where people get these things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
Another one deals with fear agressive dogs by getting on the ground in the fetal postion and clucking like a chicken. (Last I heard she was bit in the face).
Ok that one made me laugh out loud!

- Berleen -

Knuckles - born 8/21/11 - my big knucklehead
and can't forget Saki; the Golden Retriever, Born 11/07/07
The felines that rule the house - Oliver, Serena, Sakura & Bastian.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Elite Member

I heard one similar to the ear pulling. When I was doing a home visit for a rescue organization and the prospective adopter told me he never had a fence and never needed one. I asked him how he trained his dogs to stay in the yard. He said he took a bat, and walked the dog around the property, when the dog attempted to step out of the property line he hit it with the bat and told him no. His dogs didn't leave the yard he told me. He seemed very proud of himself. I did not approve his adoption application.

Christina

Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12

Kya - GSD 7/15/00-11/3/13

TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberGSD2 View Post
I heard one similar to the ear pulling. When I was doing a home visit for a rescue organization and the prospective adopter told me he never had a fence and never needed one. I asked him how he trained his dogs to stay in the yard. He said he took a bat, and walked the dog around the property, when the dog attempted to step out of the property line he hit it with the bat and told him no. His dogs didn't leave the yard he told me. He seemed very proud of himself. I did not approve his adoption application.
Whoa! I dont have and electric fence, regular fence, or even shock and choke collars and my dog stays in the yard. Never leaves. I trained her this by using completely positive reinforcement. I also taught her to stay out of the garden by using the same method. I heard of this one ladys dog that got out of the yard and some guy found it and picked and was going to bring it back to the house. The pup was wearing a shock collar, and when the lady saw through the window that the pup got out and the guy was carrying it back, she pressed the button and shocked the dog. The dog never let anyone pick it up again.
Another one was a guy that i know had a rottie years ago, and whenever the dog misbehaved he punched it!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Knighted Member

Sounds like a good way to teach your puppy to not want to come to you when they are loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittilicious View Post
Friend gets to pup, who is still sitting on the grass, watching her (tail wagging, mind you) and she then bends down, spanks the pup and grabs her ear HARD till the pup yelped and said "bad dog! You stay in the yard"

I asked the friend what was with the ear pulling and she said that they do it whenever the pup does something bad... like peeing/pooping in the house. I really didn't want to get into a debate on dog training so I just said "oh, whatever works".

So lets here the stories of your off the wall training that you've come across.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page