What Did Your Dog Learn at 9 Months? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

What Did Your Dog Learn at 9 Months?

Please share what your dog's training was like when they were 9 months old. What are some goals you've already achieved? What are some upcoming training goals?

Puppy is hitting the 9 month mark soon, and I want to know what I can expect of her. I'm frequently guilty of expecting too much from her, so knowing the norm will hopefully help me benchmark and make attainable training goals.

What I'm Doing Right Now:

Loose leash walking. Perfect with no distractions. Working on distractions.

Calm house manners.

What We've Accomplished:

Intro to Agility Equipment and Commands - jumps, tables, tunnels, dog walks. I think these may be the only things she will reliably do

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Adventures and Dog Product Reviews-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:44 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Love that you are doing agility!

Usually I teach a ton of tricks using the clicker by 9 months.

LoLaBu Land Experience Tricks

I'm also always looking for a great instructor for whatever I feel is fun, so rally obedience or tracking or agility or..... I normally try to start up the classes around 6 months.

But the tricks are from day one!

Another great resource are the Crate Games DVD's

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:56 PM

Rico is almost 9 months old. We've only had him 2-3 months, but so far, we've got him doing geometry, dealing poker, and negotiating treaties.

But seriously, we've been working diligently on basic commands (he came to us with a lot of socialization but not a lot of obedience), boundaries (such as the yard, not going into the garage, etc...), and walking nicely right next to us.

He's doing very well with the walking and boundaries. Obedience is coming along fairly well (would no doubt be better if we were more regimented). We're currently working on longer/better stays, going down on command, and greeting other dogs like a gentleman.

On the whole, I'm extremenly pleased and impressed, but then, my last dog was a beagle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 04:02 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Actually, Rico's Daddy brought up the other thing I really really really do with my pups that MOST people do NOT do enough of.

And that's the general socialization. I've had so many friends wait because they haven't trained their dog yet and don't want to be embarrassed, but when they wait until their dog has training it may be an emotional wreck when out in public!

There should be tons of opportunities coming up in the spring like these:

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Beau has learned that everything learned can be unlearned! That downspouts detach and make great chew toys as do metal brooms and holes are fun to dig balls to chase and its only fun to jump on people when you are all muddy.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 04:41 PM

Maggie,

I agree. The socialization has to be the single most important thing. It's the difference between a dangerous/obnoxious/uncontrollable/annoying dog and a well mannered dog that everyone loves to be around.

An older dog can learn obediance as well (or better) than a pup. But if you've got an older dog who can't deal with people, places, or things, you've got trouble.

We've probably put 5x more effort into socialization than formal obedience so far.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Beau has learned that everything learned can be unlearned! That downspouts detach and make great chew toys as do metal brooms and holes are fun to dig balls to chase and its only fun to jump on people when you are all muddy.

Your dog likes metal. Mine like wood. He loves to chew sticks and blocks of wood I burn for barbecue. Fortunately, he's only chewed on furniture once (that we know of).
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico's Daddy View Post

Your dog likes metal. Mine like wood. He loves to chew sticks and blocks of wood I burn for barbecue. Fortunately, he's only chewed on furniture once (that we know of).
He likes wood too. If you can destroy it, that is his specialty.

Actually, we have honestly done a lot of socialization and offlead walking. The entire world is a curiosity to him and everything new is fun and interesitng. Pleased to say yesterday the police K9 unit tested him with gunfire and he was fine there, even did offlead scentwork with the guns going off.

Training....

Loose leash walking, fetch
Sit, Down, Stay, Sit in Motion, Drop in motion, Recall , Place
Working on Stay with major distraction (throwing his ball), starting heeling,
Next week start agility
Scent work, Trained sit indication, working on stay at source
Working on drop on recall
Working on OUT with tug (just got help with that one)

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Master Member

When Ruger was young, he had his CGC at 8 months and his first rally leg at 9 months. Looking back, I think it was too much too soon. He learned to dislike obedience. Bad training.
When I got Cues, I learned from my mistakes and did the complete opposite. I only worked with loose leash walking and basic commands. Always working on focus. I did a lot of the things that were in the Michael Ellis Training with food and tug DVDs. No pressure. I wanted her to think training =play. I did heavy socialization. I took her somewhere every day I was off work to meet different people and get out into every environment I could think of.
I finally took her to the Schutzhund club for her 1 yr birthday. She came out of the car happy and ready to work. She took to it like she had been doing it her whole life.
What Cues is now is a super happy dog in her work. She continues to improve all the time. All she wants to do is train, and she lives to please.
If I had to do it all over again, I do the exact same thing.

Cinzar's Dark Shadow Too (Ruger) CGC, RN 1/8/05
SG Quinn Z Old Farm (Cues) IPO 3, KKL 6/7/09
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you guys! The responses have been great. Please keep them coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_s View Post
When Ruger was young, he had his CGC at 8 months and his first rally leg at 9 months. Looking back, I think it was too much too soon. He learned to dislike obedience. Bad training.
When I got Cues, I learned from my mistakes and did the complete opposite. I only worked with loose leash walking and basic commands. Always working on focus. I did a lot of the things that were in the Michael Ellis Training with food and tug DVDs. No pressure. I wanted her to think training =play. I did heavy socialization. I took her somewhere every day I was off work to meet different people and get out into every environment I could think of.
I finally took her to the Schutzhund club for her 1 yr birthday. She came out of the car happy and ready to work. She took to it like she had been doing it her whole life.
What Cues is now is a super happy dog in her work. She continues to improve all the time. All she wants to do is train, and she lives to please.
If I had to do it all over again, I do the exact same thing.

Cindy S:

I think I also rushed her a bit too much when she was younger, so now I've backed off to doing just the basics, and LOTS of play. We just do sit, down, stay, and out while in play. We've progressed to down in motion, but sit in motion is still choppy. She defaults into down.

Loose leash is a must since it's near impossible to walk with a strong dog pulling you left and right.

I think the next thing I want to teach is fetch, since this is still mostly play. She has great prey drive, and will run after the ball, it's the bringing back that is problematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico's Daddy View Post
Maggie,

I agree. The socialization has to be the single most important thing. It's the difference between a dangerous/obnoxious/uncontrollable/annoying dog and a well mannered dog that everyone loves to be around.

An older dog can learn obediance as well (or better) than a pup. But if you've got an older dog who can't deal with people, places, or things, you've got trouble.

We've probably put 5x more effort into socialization than formal obedience so far.
I also want to increase socialization. I've done lots when she was a puppy, but didn't really do much these past few months. There are SO MANY DOGS in Kingston, and it's hard to be out and about if I don't want her to react.

But I'm thinking we really need to work on her greeting skills. She gets so excited when she thinks she gets to greet people that her entire body wiggles.

-Adventures and Dog Product Reviews-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page