Lycan related-How do you train a blind dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Question Lycan related-How do you train a blind dog?

So got the word back from the Vet, and Lycan is apparently 100% blind in his left eye and only has 30-40% vision in his right eye. Plus the vet says the right eye sort of bounces light off so that he gets a keliedescope effect on things he sees during the day...probably sees better at night. Hearing is fine, so they are going to adjust the training. Any suggestions on what I can expect?

I realize I don't sound very broken up about this, but the vet says he's been this way since birth, and it's painless, so I figure it's not like he's suffering....we just need to adapt a bit in the household.

Also, it seems the Vet fell in love with Lycan. The trainer said the exam took longer than usual because the good Dr ended up rolling on the ground and playing with the big boof.

He's such a silly dog.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jelpy

My furs are not in storage, nor draped across the bed. They're peering out the kennel door just waiting to be fed.
(Anonymous)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Crowned Member

I faced the prospect of Stosh loosing his sight when he was shot in the face- luckily he has sight but it's limited in the left eye from a detached retina. We take him to an opthamalogist who relates wonderful stories of how dogs adapt, usually better than the owners. He has one patient, a black lab, who went totally blind and still plays fetch with a tennis ball. He said you would never know the dog was blind- he can smell and hear the balls. Before the dog lost his sight entirely, the owner trained him with a flashlight, just like using a clicker but I would start with a clicker, whistle or bell now. I'm sure Lycan will be just as happy and goofy as ever.

Last edited by Stosh; 05-15-2012 at 04:42 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
My lab was about the same way, blind from birth. The dr says she can see good in her one good eye, many times I question that. Bright light does bother her. Shadow just recently had her blind eye removed due to extremely high pressure in it. Not saying this to alarm you, but be sure to keep a regular check on the pressure in your dog's blind eye. The pressure in Shadow's eye rose quickly and ended up being an emergency situation.

As far as training, much more vocal on my part. She's a goof as well, but also a soft dog, so have to keep that in mind working with her. Training is somewhat slower, hand signals work only when close.

As far as day to day living, have to watch where we put things down that may have sharp corners etc. During any rough housing keep enough space so she doesn't hit corners and edges on her left side.

We have to watch ourselves that we don't make excuses for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Crowned Member

Lycan sounds like a great pup. now that they know he may be a star in training. He sounds pretty loveable based on the vets reaction to your boy.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Elite Member

Oh Lycan!!! Now you make since! Lol!
Well I'm glad your positive about every thing. Big change on training. He sounds a a great dog. Training yes will be different for you both. But who doesn't like a bit of a challenge?? I'm glad the trainer seems in board with a different approach. Keep us updated.

Otto Blk GSD 02/23/10
Circe Blk Sable GSD 06/22/08
My fur babies!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page