Does anyone know if Animal Behavior College is a good school? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Question Does anyone know if Animal Behavior College is a good school?

So I'm thinking of becoming a certified dog trainer and groomer, and maybe eventually opening my own business. I was wondering if anybody knew anything about Animal Behavior College? There suppose to be a really great school but I wanted to check it out first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:25 PM

Absolutely not. Do not waste your money. A dog trainer should have experience with dogs, not go to a school. Train your dogs. Get a training job at a kennel. Market yourself. You'll be fine.

Grooming I know nothing about. My groomer is some Buddy Wash and a hose in my backyard.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Crowned Member

These threads should be merged....OP you should not post the same question over and over in multiple forums. The mods/admins have enough to keep up with!
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...od-school.html
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-any-good.html

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 05-07-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:31 PM

I was wondering why it was on active topics 10 times...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabledog View Post
Absolutely not. Do not waste your money. A dog trainer should have experience with dogs, not go to a school. Train your dogs. Get a training job at a kennel. Market yourself. You'll be fine.

Grooming I know nothing about. My groomer is some Buddy Wash and a hose in my backyard.
Do you know anything about ABC? Part of the requirements is an externship where you spend X number of hours observing a trainer, x number of hours participating as a student, x number of hours teaching and then you have to demonstrate that you know how to teach the skills you learned. Plus the essays.

That said. It is only as good as you make it. It is certainly a start to get you into the field and to learn some basics but learning needs to include hands on as well as certification. It's one way to get your foot in the door.

I have not gone to ABC but my business partner is a graduate of ABC and mentor trainer for them.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Crowned Member

I know someone who completed the training and was happy with them.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 AM

Don't know much about the program. Is it an actual degree or just a cert? If cert I'd say avoid it unless u have 0 experience in the field. Just my 1.5 cents
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
Do you know anything about ABC? Part of the requirements is an externship where you spend X number of hours observing a trainer, x number of hours participating as a student, x number of hours teaching and then you have to demonstrate that you know how to teach the skills you learned. Plus the essays.

That said. It is only as good as you make it. It is certainly a start to get you into the field and to learn some basics but learning needs to include hands on as well as certification. It's one way to get your foot in the door.

I have not gone to ABC but my business partner is a graduate of ABC and mentor trainer for them.
Yes. They want trainers to teach a group course (that if I recall, is a one day only thing), and the claim that the students mentored under you. I'm sorry, but that to me is not having a mentor and I would NEVER allow a group of random "trainers" to say they learned under me. I have seen the "trainers" that graduate from there. I do not want my name involved in any of their businesses. Imagine how poorly that would reflect on me.

You want to train dogs? Train dogs. The best trainers never went to school. They trained dogs. No essay is going to teach you how to handle an animal, IMO. Read Animals in Translation and Animals Make Us Human by Temple Grandin if you're feeling scholarly. That will teach you about animal behavior.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabledog View Post
Yes. They want trainers to teach a group course (that if I recall, is a one day only thing), and the claim that the students mentored under you. I'm sorry, but that to me is not having a mentor and I would NEVER allow a group of random "trainers" to say they learned under me. I have seen the "trainers" that graduate from there. I do not want my name involved in any of their businesses. Imagine how poorly that would reflect on me.

You want to train dogs? Train dogs. The best trainers never went to school. They trained dogs. No essay is going to teach you how to handle an animal, IMO. Read Animals in Translation and Animals Make Us Human by Temple Grandin if you're feeling scholarly. That will teach you about animal behavior.
I will be attending there soon for dog obidence and their other coarses (cat behavior, nutrition, ect.) to me, it looks like a good school. That is where victoria stillwell graduated from if you like her you should like them. they push scientific dog training methods, but do educate on the other methods. Give them a call and see what you think, i talked to oneof the members, you are even allowed to bring your dog to classes and work with them. They are the #1 dog obedience school, and you do get experience with dogs through them. Its a good way in my opinion, to start a career in dog training thats why im planning on enrolling. They lady I talked to seem friendly and understanding, i hope the rest of the staff is that way. Ill have to give you an update soon onit after i enroll and start my schooling. There is always gonna be mixed thoughts. I dont think cesar millan went to any school, and heis sucessful (though i dont agree on his training methods, they arnt true dog psychology, just a theory) in order to train dogs, i personally would want to understand how they truely think (atleast with our scientific research) and thats what they teach by. You only get a certification, not a degree but you can go from there. They also teach how to make a sucessful and growing buisness. Have you checked out their site?

Last edited by maureen_mickel; 06-10-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page