Intake on abused dog - help with ideas - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Intake on abused dog - help with ideas

So today, we were contacted by a couple giving up their 2yr. old female Golden.

Anyway - the kids were quite insightful when telling me of all the dogs this family had previously given up for various reasons. The kids also said the dog "got a hair cut" last night - which I thought interesting because she did not look like she'd been groomed in particular. The kids were (approx) 2, 4 and 6.

When the mom was filling out the surrender paperwork, the dad was petting the dog, and the dog just started shaking violently as if afraid. He claimed he'd never had a dog that did that - "just shakes like this, see, like she's freezing".

It turns out they need to get rid of their dog because the Labs were "too rough with her". The dog is around 45-50lb., but for a female, not extremely small.

The wife claimed when they spayed the dog last fall, she had "blood clots" in her stomach region (will clarify this tomorrow with the vet). They didn't know why but surmised the Labs were too rough when trying to play with her.

Well we get home and I had made a mental note that her collar seemed loose, but forgot about it, and she slipped her collar and took off.
She made it across the road, and into a field near our place. I figured that is it, she'll head home
But she didn't...she started cowering very badly. My daughter was on foot and I was in the car, we were both calling, and the dog just cowered down and then she'd get up and move some, she'd kind of come towards us but cower down again, and when I finally caught up with her, I said "no!" when she'd go to run off and she cowered even worse if you can imagine. I mean, tucked her butt clear up, her tail tucked in, and I managed to get ahold of her.

It was then I noticed her leg fur and tail are...beyond matted, tangled, dead fur, etc. in them. Bedragged I guess you could say. Matted. I now "got it" when I remembered the kids telling us she got a "hair cut" last night
So my daughter picked the dog up and held her on her lap and the dog just peed all over the place, very submissively.

I am honestly thinking this dog was pretty danged neglected, oh, I found mats behind her ears, little balled up fur behind there. Now, I have a Sheltie mix with the same type ear fur and you have to basically brush every few weeks to keep that clean and mat-free.
The Golden's tail and back leg "feathers" are way worse with mats and tangled fur.

And I'm thinking the folks were the type to call the dog back, then smack it or whatever you do, hit, whatever. Kick!? Blood clots in her abdomen!?

The way she'd begin to approach then just cower and pee, it's very disturbing.

Thoughts!? How do I begin to work with a dog like this!??

I don't dare ask them. I am just vastly relieved they chose rescue over another home that might not have patience with her

Last edited by msvette2u; 05-06-2012 at 12:09 AM.
msvette2u is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 12:59 AM
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 14,027
This is all very disturbing to read, especially when its a golden retriever(I love this breed and have my own). They are the happiest, most fun loving, easy going dogs you could ask for. I would have to say that this dog was abused--physically and mentally I would investigate the idiots that gave her up to make sure that the other dogs are okay in their care. As far as she goes, I wish I was closer to you because I would take her in a minute!! Hopefully with lots of love and patience on your part she will come around. The two week shut down will be great for her--goldens can be nervous doggies! And I would go slow with her, she's scared but not fear aggressive or mean. She just needs to know that she is loved and she will return that love ten fold, once she trusts again. Oh and as far as grooming, I've taken mine in and they ask me what do you want done, I say whatever you do with goldens....usually its no trimming, lots of brushing and stuff...groomers prefer for goldens to keep that natural golden look without any knots or matting

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 05-06-2012 at 01:01 AM.
llombardo is offline  
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Crowned Member
 
shepherdmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rural Nevada
Posts: 5,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
So today, we were contacted by a couple giving up their 2yr. old female Golden.

Anyway - the kids were quite insightful when telling me of all the dogs this family had previously given up for various reasons. The kids also said the dog "got a hair cut" last night - which I thought interesting because she did not look like she'd been groomed in particular. The kids were (approx) 2, 4 and 6.

When the mom was filling out the surrender paperwork, the dad was petting the dog, and the dog just started shaking violently as if afraid. He claimed he'd never had a dog that did that - "just shakes like this, see, like she's freezing".

It turns out they need to get rid of their dog because the Labs were "too rough with her". The dog is around 45-50lb., but for a female, not extremely small.

The wife claimed when they spayed the dog last fall, she had "blood clots" in her stomach region (will clarify this tomorrow with the vet). They didn't know why but surmised the Labs were too rough when trying to play with her.

Well we get home and I had made a mental note that her collar seemed loose, but forgot about it, and she slipped her collar and took off.
She made it across the road, and into a field near our place. I figured that is it, she'll head home
But she didn't...she started cowering very badly. My daughter was on foot and I was in the car, we were both calling, and the dog just cowered down and then she'd get up and move some, she'd kind of come towards us but cower down again, and when I finally caught up with her, I said "no!" when she'd go to run off and she cowered even worse if you can imagine. I mean, tucked her butt clear up, her tail tucked in, and I managed to get ahold of her.

It was then I noticed her leg fur and tail are...beyond matted, tangled, dead fur, etc. in them. Bedragged I guess you could say. Matted. I now "got it" when I remembered the kids telling us she got a "hair cut" last night
So my daughter picked the dog up and held her on her lap and the dog just peed all over the place, very submissively.

I am honestly thinking this dog was pretty danged neglected, oh, I found mats behind her ears, little balled up fur behind there. Now, I have a Sheltie mix with the same type ear fur and you have to basically brush every few weeks to keep that clean and mat-free.
The Golden's tail and back leg "feathers" are way worse with mats and tangled fur.

And I'm thinking the folks were the type to call the dog back, then smack it or whatever you do, hit, whatever. Kick!? Blood clots in her abdomen!?

The way she'd begin to approach then just cower and pee, it's very disturbing.

Thoughts!? How do I begin to work with a dog like this!??

I don't dare ask them. I am just vastly relieved they chose rescue over another home that might not have patience with her
I know you probably don't want to hear from me but I know you know how to do this. Lots of patience, tons of love, time and eventually after a modified shut down lots and lots of socialization with people. You need dog lovers who are willing to love on her and give her lots of treats. At first very soft voice non threatening people.
shepherdmom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Elite Member
 
Falkosmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,105
I think I would start with a very thorough vet examination.
Falkosmom is offline  
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Good idea - I'm going to contact her vet Monday. She doesn't seem sick or anything but I don't even get what they mean by blood clots in her belly/abdomen

I have a groomer who volunteers so will be contacting her re: grooming - they have some anti-tangling stuff I think, which would be better than me yanking the mats out

Shepherds, I know...I mean, I am used to working with smaller dogs, for one thing. It's so much easier to scoop them up, hold them daily until they trust again. It's been quite a while since I've had a dog over 20lb. that needed intensive TLC. And I'm devastated that she's so...traumatized.
I'm happy she's here, of course - but was not prepared for such a basket case girl
msvette2u is offline  
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 14,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Good idea - I'm going to contact her vet Monday. She doesn't seem sick or anything but I don't even get what they mean by blood clots in her belly/abdomen

I have a groomer who volunteers so will be contacting her re: grooming - they have some anti-tangling stuff I think, which would be better than me yanking the mats out

Shepherds, I know...I mean, I am used to working with smaller dogs, for one thing. It's so much easier to scoop them up, hold them daily until they trust again. It's been quite a while since I've had a dog over 20lb. that needed intensive TLC. And I'm devastated that she's so...traumatized.
I'm happy she's here, of course - but was not prepared for such a basket case girl
Furminator shampoo and creme rinse works well on goldens, but remember they can have skin issues and those won't be evident until after wards

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
llombardo is offline  
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 01:53 AM
Crowned Member
 
shepherdmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rural Nevada
Posts: 5,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Shepherds, I know...I mean, I am used to working with smaller dogs, for one thing. It's so much easier to scoop them up, hold them daily until they trust again. It's been quite a while since I've had a dog over 20lb. that needed intensive TLC. And I'm devastated that she's so...traumatized.
I'm happy she's here, of course - but was not prepared for such a basket case girl
People that abuse dogs make me furious. but little or big they need the same thing. She needs to feel safe and loved. You can do this!
shepherdmom is offline  
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 02:27 AM
Elite Member
 
Falkosmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Good idea - I'm going to contact her vet Monday. She doesn't seem sick or anything but I don't even get what they mean by blood clots in her belly/abdomen

I have a groomer who volunteers so will be contacting her re: grooming - they have some anti-tangling stuff I think, which would be better than me yanking the mats out

Shepherds, I know...I mean, I am used to working with smaller dogs, for one thing. It's so much easier to scoop them up, hold them daily until they trust again. It's been quite a while since I've had a dog over 20lb. that needed intensive TLC. And I'm devastated that she's so...traumatized.
I'm happy she's here, of course - but was not prepared for such a basket case girl
Honestly, had a neighbor once with a Golden with a similar temperament. She was raised with love and spoiled, it was just in the genetic cards for this particular dog. Kid gloves are a must, perhaps you can find an elderly person to foster this dog. I find fearful feral cats respond very well to older adults. Something they like about the perpetual slow motion!
Falkosmom is offline  
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
I'd believe that (all temperament) but for the obvious neglect - her coat tells me she didn't even have the basic coat care a dog like this needs.
Even a "soft" dog like a Golden can be, shouldn't be tucking tail, cowering and peeing all over herself.
At the very very least they mishandled her, and probably did use physical corrections, a no-no on a soft dog
msvette2u is offline  
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 03:02 AM
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 14,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
I'd believe that (all temperament) but for the obvious neglect - her coat tells me she didn't even have the basic coat care a dog like this needs.
Even a "soft" dog like a Golden can be, shouldn't be tucking tail, cowering and peeing all over herself.
At the very very least they mishandled her, and probably did use physical corrections, a no-no on a soft dog
They are soft dogs...if I yell in my house mine is gone, until I tell him its okay and he can come out He was so easy to train because he wanted to make me happy and he never got into trouble because he didn't and does not respond well to any kind of raised voices or negativity. Yes my golden has trained me and lowered my blood pressure too

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
llombardo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome