KPA, K-9 Learning Center, Triple Crown or Tom Rose? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

KPA, K-9 Learning Center, Triple Crown or Tom Rose?

Long story short, recently I've been considering becoming a dog trainer as a career. I love working with dogs and seeing people connecting with their dogs. Problem is I don't have enough experience or knowledge to get anywhere with it. So I was thinking going to one of the training programs may be a good way to get my feet wet. I'm not delusional; I know I'm not going to become some master trainer after 6 weeks/12 weeks/6 months, but at least it would give me a base to start from. I was just wondering if anyone here had any suggestions regarding which school I should pick? This isn't something that's going to happen soon... earliest would be next year if I decide to stick with it.

I know KPA is clicker-based positive reinforcement which I definitely love after having been in clicker classes for a year with Pookie at a very nice facility in CA. The drawback is it's mostly online learning with maybe 10 lessons in person. I'm hesitant for that reason, so I wonder if maybe going to K-9 Learning Center/Triple Crown/Tom Rose first for the hands-on learning may be better, then if I still want to go with clicker training I can go to KPA. I know the K-9 Learning Center is Koehler-based training, but I don't have a clue about Triple Crown or Tom Rose. Was wondering if anyone here has been to/attended/ or heard anything about any of these schools and what you would recommend?

Or maybe I should just forget it all and go back to college. Sigh.

Chrissy

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Banned

The amazing trainer that helped me with Rocky for his first year (for free when I was low on money) went to the triple crown academy and loved it...he is now training police dogs. If you PM me I could give you his email and you could ask him specific questions about it (with his permission of course)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Pmed you. Open to other suggestions as well. Anyone tried the Michael Ellis School?

I do have some books on order from Amazon that I've been told are good.. Control Unleashed, Culture Clash, Calming Signals, The Other End of the Leash, and some others.

Chrissy

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 02:10 AM
Crowned Member

I went through Animal Behavior College. I enjoyed the fact most of it was online work (KPA similar) but i also got the hands on training too. I do intend on furthering my training education as well and would like to heavily consider KPA as well as Tom Rose.

During one of the classes i assisted on with my mentor trainer, she had a KPA student in there. Going on what I saw of the KPA student, its extremely effective. She knew what she was doing and i swear, I have never in my life seen a puppy so intensely focused ever. I do have to admit though that she micro-managed the puppy so the puppy basically wasnt given the chance to think for itself. Thats not to say all KPA students end up like that but it was a little disturbing to see.

If you're curious about Tom Rose, check out Controlled Chaos Dog Training on facebook. Kevin is a master trainer who owns his own business. His wife Cheryl VERY recently retired from the police force to assist with the business because its that successful in such a short amount of time. I'm sure Kevin would be happy to answer any questions you have regarding the school itself since he's been through it. I know Tom Rose is definitely on my list when I can afford it.

Cant offer anything about the others mentioned because i've no knowledge of them. Good luck! I know simply going through the ABC course, i've become a better owner/trainer/handler and I work with my mentor trainer in her business when my husband isnt deploying lol. I thoroughly enjoy what I do.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:05 AM

Triple crown offers a good foundation in a variety of methods. No matter what type of training you prefer to do in a group class I occasionally come across dogs who do not learn as well that way and I will fall back on one of the other methods I learned for that dog. Private lessons even more so it is nice to customise a training plan for a specific dog and owners. So I really appreciate the foundation I learned at triple crown.

You also get a good foundation with the e collar very similar to the Lou Castle method.

Good understanding of behaviour issues and modification. Hands on experience depending on the temperament/behaviour of the rescue dogs you are working with. Although behaviour modification is one of those things where the learning never stops.

I also really enjoyed the graduate program I think it was called. Into to narcotics, agility, competitive ob, schutzhund, service dog, SAR etc. That last month was so much fun!

And they have really nice GSDs! So nice that I brought one home I actually never wanted a GSD some of my friends had them and I had been out to the Schutzhund club a few times. The dogs I was around in Texas and seeing what they could do really changed my mind and now I am really into Schutzhund.

Also Rob and Jessy are just about the nicest people you will ever meet!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:14 AM

A few people at my club have trained with Michael Ellis. I would think it is more sport dog related but I have not been myself. I do use some of his techniques in class trying to teach people to play and just have fun with their dogs and help them figure out what motivates their dog.

I also use lots of his stuff to train for competition but not sure how good a foundation it would be for a group class. His stuff is mainly geared towards high drive dogs. You will find in groups classes a huge variety of temperaments so you might end up at a loss on how to deal with some dogs if you don't have a broader foundation to fall back on.

So my guess is his classes would be better down the line to add something to your training program.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks for the input. I've been considering triple crown since it's closer then Ohio, but I didn't know anyone who had gone there. Nice to know they're recommended.

Kzoppa, I will check them out on facebook as well.

Anyone else have any opinions? Advice?

Chrissy

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 PM

I went there even though it was a long way from home and I actually knew two people who had been there and recommended it so I knew exactly what I was getting into which was nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page