Runaway - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Runaway

I have two rescue GS sisters three and two that are former city dogs with huge prey drives and extremely intelligent. The older is sneaky, waiting for me to be distracted for seconds and takes off into the woods taking her sister with her.

I walk these dogs four miles everyday. The younger is unleashed when walking, because she obeys in spite of her prey drive. The older is torn in obeying but chooses the prey chase so she stays leashed. When I am out in the yard tasking, I like to leave the girls unleashed for freedom of movement for them and me. If I take my eye away for a second, the older takes off and will not obey the command to come.

Also, I need to teach the older girl to not respond negatively to a stranger when I deem the stranger no threat. How do I do this?

Last edited by Teresa; 05-02-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Elite Member

If I were you I wouldn't let the older one off the leash until her recall is solid. The more times she can disobey, the harder it becomes to train her to come. Set her up for success.

With the responding negatively. What worked for me and Sasha was first I taught her the command "Leave it". Where she was to look away from whatever it was she saw and was interested in. In correcting the negative reaction to a stranger, once she had the leave it command solid, she would get a very firm "AH-AH!" and at the same time a collar correction with her prong collar. Then she would be told, very firmly, "Leave it" it took time, but it worked. It also worked to have friends come over and practice being on good behavior.

~Sasha~{GSD}~ 3ish~Gotcha day January, 29, 2011
~Monte~{Golden Retriever}~ (RIP)~ 1997-2009

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page