Theoretical situation... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Theoretical situation...

This is just a theoretical situation, since I don't have a puppy yet, but I've seen a few other people who have this problem, so I would like to know how to handle it if the problem arises.

With positive reinforcement training how would you handle this?

The puppy is fine both inside and outside and is otherwise non-aggresive, but whenever you pick her up to take her inside she growls and bites.

I wouldn't want to leave her outside, because that would be teaching her she gets what she wants when she growls and bites. But I wouldn't want to take her inside, because I wouldn't want inside to seem like timeout.

What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Crowned Member

Redirect. She's a puppy and being a brat. Redirect her with a toy to teach her what she can and cannot bite and take her inside anyways. It's the Landshark Stage.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Okay, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Crowned Member

I look at it from the puppy's point of view.
When I'm outside and having fun and my owner picks me up they ALWAYS take me inside and end the fun.
So - make being picked up and going inside just as much fun as being outside!

Also, don't ALWAYS take them inside when you pick them up. Mix it up - pick up the pup, carry them around for a minute then set them back down and play a rough-n-rowdy game of tug!!

Also, when you get inside offer them a treat or another game of tug - make being inside as much fun as being outside.

When I tell my dogs "Go To Bed" they BOLT for the door to the basement, shoving each other out of the way. When I open the basement door they FLY down the stairs and throw themselves into their crates.

Why? Because 95% of the time I give them treats when I shut their crate doors. I buy the cheapest, smallest dog treats I can find and keep a jar of them by the crates.

Heck - I don't work 40 hours a week for the fun of it - I do it to get rewarded ($$$). I don't expect my dogs to be any different.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 09:05 PM

I would pick the puppy up and not put it down until it was calm then repeat and repeat and repeat. Its kind of like crate training you teach them they only come out when they are quiet other wise you are ignoring the behaviour (except for the fact that you are holding the puppy)

Although I don't think I ever actually picked my puppy up to take it inside but that is what I would do if I had a puppy who behaved that way any time I picked it up.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Master Member

I would insist upon carrying them in that time and from then on put them on a leash to come in (so you can direct them.) Hopefully no other issues arise from this (for whoever you know who has this problem.)

Ditto GSD- 6 years old
Daisy Alaskan Husky- 4 years old
Weegee Toy Poodle- 2 years old

Always loved, missed, and remembered:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Crowned Member

GSDs will be big dogs. They should not get used to being carried. If they are injured, you should get a blanket, or walk them into a crate to pick them up. I would not pick up my puppy to bring them in. I would attach the leash and bring them in. If I ever had a situation where a pup growled and bit me, I think there would be a lot more changes than just a leash though. I think off-leash time in the garden would not happen until I felt the situation was under better control.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Crowned Member

When I got Delgado I got him used to being picked up, mostly to get him used to being restrained and being put in a submissive position. Now I only carry him first thing in the morning to go outside

I agree with the redirection and being firm but gentle if needed, you're the boss but that doesn't mean you have to be mean

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Crowned Member

Why? Why should the dog be used to being restrained and in a submissive position? I have never done this, and my dogs are just fine, and do not rule the roost. I just don't understand the reasoning.

One day when I walked Jenna into town, about four miles away, I realized I had gone too far with the pup, and it was a four mile hike home. So I picked her up and put her on my shoulders and carried her home that way. She was about 5 months old. I did not have to get her used to being carried or put her into some submissive position.

I am sorry if this is coming out on you, but I am hearing some stuff that is really concerning me. Things like people unable to cut toenails, and having rituals and treats to do it, and things like puppy day camp for a fearful puppy, and then I hear on a thread about a purely positive reaction to a rather extreme reaction, teaching a dog to be restrained and put into submissive positions -- where does that land in purely positive reinforcement training?

I am curious where all this aggression is coming from, and GSDs can be aggressive when you pick them up if they are hurt or afraid of being hurt. I really cannot think of a lot of other reasons to pick them up. Even at the vet, when I want them on the table, I pull out the chair and have them get on the chair and then move onto the table, I do not lift them up onto the table.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

My rescue had zero training when I adopted her, and had no clue about what I wanted, nor any concept of "obeying".

Yet both dogs, as soon as I say "In the house!" RUN to the door and wait for me to let them in. I used treat rewards for like a WHOLE year to get them to have nothing but positive associations and the instinct to respond quickly and happily.

I think the mistake most people make is that they phase out the treats too soon. Over time, the behaviour (run to the door!), just becomes automatic. Same with getting them in the car. Toss a few treats in as soon as they get in. I always get compliments on how well my dogs listen.

Also, lots of time, when a pup fights going back in, it is because they do not get enough outside time, so plan on being outside a bit longer, and playing with the pup to tire him/her out.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page