What next? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

What next?

My pup is 9 month old white male. He recently finished a 10 day boot camp where the trainer came for 10 days with a few days off, so 10 days over a 14 day period for 90 minutes a day. Lots of progress and I think the big thing is that he responds well to the prong collar. Walking outside with the prong, real nice.. In the house decent and in the back yard with no prong, won't really listen or come quickly, just wants to run and have fun. He goes to doggy day care 6 days a week from 8:30 to 4:00 pm and he loves it like crazy. My question, since I never want to stop his training, is what I should work on next and how? I;m not pleased with his recall in the yard and w/o the prong on. And when do we know when to let a pup sleep out of his crate? I know I cannot let him have free access to the house, but I was thinking of a test with him free in my bedroom at night with the door closed. He is a bit of a whiner, so I donnot know how this will work. He does stay in his crate from 11pm to almost 8am with zero problem. So, what kind of training should I try now and what about the crate free test? Still too young? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 01:24 AM
Banned

10 days/2 weeks of training and he won't come or even listen without a prong?
I sure hope you didn't spend a lot of money on that.

You should not need the prong to make him listen or come...Prongs are for use in learning how to walk nicely without pulling.

And you don't even really need it for that - look -

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 06:29 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am asking and wondering if it is related but if he is in doggie day care with other people and other dogs all day long whats in it for him to have a relationship with you?

Why would he want to come to you and listen to you?

I don't know anything about doggie day care but could he simply be overstimulated and not know how to settle? I named the "come" behavior all the time when I was playing ball with Beau and he was closing in with the ball. And did a lot in the house. A lot between two or three people, etc. All motivational but on a long line just in case with a gentle pop if he got distracted.

I went through a short spell where (after he was quite reliable for several months) he blew me off the recall and wanted to just play in the yard even after playing a lot, but I did not use the command if I could not reinforce it at that point in time. I just ran from him and snagged him when he came becuse they can't resist you when you are running from them, did a little motivational obedience then walked him in onlead.

It seems that phase has passed

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 06:45 AM
Crowned Member

i am not really a doggie day care person for alot of reasons, but in doggie day care they all pretty much just run around and play all day with no obedience or structure. so, this habit can carry off to life at home. and i agree you need to make time for more structure at home. there are alot of recall games you can do with him, and also continue the obedience to more advanced stuff. also getting his focus. if you chose doggie day care for the interactions with other dogs and socializing, thats fine, but, i would balance it out and spend time on the above.

url
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 07:27 AM
Banned

how much time are spending training and
socializing your dog in the house, in the yard
and other places?? i trained in a lot of places,
inside, outside, playground, bank, pet store,
Lowe's, near the front doors of the Supermarket,
center city, suburbs, farms, restraraunts, in the car (ride in the back
and don't move around, exit and enter on command, lay down
automatically when i exit the car, don't stick head out of window, etc),
train and socialize everywhere.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:32 AM

I completed Lou Castles protocol for the E-Collar, took about 2 weeks, with about 3 sessions a week, his recall has never been better. I can recall him from sniffing a dead animal now and out of sight with no issues. He even listens under high arousal now.

Molly GSD -1/12/09
Immo Jipo-Me GSD -8/01/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page