2 week shutdown questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

2 week shutdown questions

I have a question about the 2 week shutdown I've heard both on here and from Ed Frawley's training dvd's (Leerburg Dog Training | 16,000 pages of dog training information, 300 free dog training streaming videos, free eBooks, podcasts, by Ed Frawley and Michael Ellis). How detrimental is it to have the crate for a new dog in our bedroom (especially if that's where the existing pets already sleep). And is 2 weeks absolutely necessary even if a new dog does not have dominance issues?

Aero (WGSL) - 9 years old
Maximilian (EGWL) - 26 months old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 03:06 AM

2 weeks is minimum. it can be longer, but should not be shorter.
put the crate in the living room.

Mom: russian blue 20yrs
Moose: cat 10 yrs
Del: lab/gsd 4yrs
Biz: Bi color GSD, 6 years
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck View Post
2 weeks is minimum. it can be longer, but should not be shorter.
put the crate in the living room.
Now I need to find a place in the living room - it's a big crate. Any other rooms if I end up not having enough space in there?

Aero (WGSL) - 9 years old
Maximilian (EGWL) - 26 months old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Crowned Member

Will it fit in the kitchen?
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Master Member

Basically any room except a bedroom - that is prime sleeping real estate, so sleeping in there is a privilege earned.
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Crowned Member

I can't imagine not putting a new dog in my bedroom. It's very beneficial for the dog to learn about crate training, helps bonding, and you can sleep better. There's a lot of things that Ed says that should just be ignored.

Elaine and the herd
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Master Member

Sorry, my bad! I assumed this was an older dog.

For a puppy, absolutely I have them in my room until they can go through the night while holding their bladder.

For an older dog, they should be fine for the night. If not, then I would put them in my room until I could make sure they were able to hold it through the night, then I would move them into another room.

Also, I know that article was written a long time ago, and I found it didn't touch a whole bunch on making sure your dog received ADEQUATE exercise. Just because he in doing his 2 week boot camp, doesn't mean he gets no exercise. When he goes into the crate he should be tired.
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 02:04 PM

the dog he is talking about is not a puppy. 1 year old female that has been DA with other dogs.

the 2 week shutdown isn't about bonding, it's about resetting the dog, so it can see what happens in the house, how the house is run, who comes and goes.
bonding comes after the dog has earned respect and the ability to move throughout the house freely.
the dog will do just fine out in another room

Mom: russian blue 20yrs
Moose: cat 10 yrs
Del: lab/gsd 4yrs
Biz: Bi color GSD, 6 years
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck View Post
the dog he is talking about is not a puppy. 1 year old female that has been DA with other dogs.

the 2 week shutdown isn't about bonding, it's about resetting the dog, so it can see what happens in the house, how the house is run, who comes and goes.
bonding comes after the dog has earned respect and the ability to move throughout the house freely.
the dog will do just fine out in another room
Well if this is the case, I agree with you.

The only bonding that occurs is during training time, potty breaks and exercise time. When the dog is not doing one of these three, its in the crate. I agree that the dog has to earn free range of the house, but this also will help with DA, though not directly.

When you control all the resources of your dog (food, water, traveling rights, den, social time) you set a standard that you can freely give and take away. You later translate this into earning privileges. Now I don't starve or dehydrate a dog, but I decide when and how these resources will be given.

For a dog with any aggression, them knowing that you are the controller of all can be a big help in the training area.
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Crowned Member

I would never do this shutdown thing for any dog. It's another gimmick that's hard on you and the dog and doesn't make much sense. Getting real help with training and how to improve your relationship with her is a much better idea. I would still crate her in my bedroom.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page