2 Dog Training Sessions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

2 Dog Training Sessions

Looking for any advice on training sessions with both dogs together. Zach is ahead of Zoey in training because we got him first at 8 wks and have a solid bond. Zoey came later and older at 6 months.

Last night I was working Zach with "relax" (lay down and put his head down on his paw or floor). He has the hand signal down, I was just working in the relax word. Zoey came down and it seemed like she picked up on it by imitating him. Zach has a solid touch, so i tried that with him and then with Zoey and she did it - but just like the Relax command it was far from solid. I do a lot of NILF - (we both work for everything) so she has seem these commands before with Zach, I only use the standard down, stay or sit with her, while I do more advanced with Zach at these times.

So - I hear that you should train seperately but is this cheating to try to do it together, will the foundation not be as solid ?? There is no competition between the 2 - no agression issues at all

Tom
Zach / Zoey Nov 13 2010
*RIP Kayla waiting for me at the bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
I have a GSD and a Lab. I train them together on established behaviors and separately on new commands and refresher practice.

If the distraction proves to much for the day when working with established behaviors, I'll completely separate them or have one in a long down - which is good practice for the down w/distractions Sessions are kept short simply because I am asking even more of them to work with the added dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page