E-collar: Training or Controlling? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

E-collar: Training or Controlling?

Joey was trained all his life on an e-collar by my husband's cousin. He became a Sch3.

My husband did not really want to use it, because he felt it was a controlling mechanism, not a training one.

We haven't used it very much, and Joey does not always obey on his walks (he does know his commands). This morning was particularly bad (husband fell a couple of times because Joey pulled so hard).

Whenever we see the cousin, he shows us how to use the e-collar, and Joey is amazing with it. He walks loose leash, or no leash at all. We always have Joey on the leash because we're afraid of what will happen.

I would welcome comments, positive or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Crowned Member

How long have you had Joey? Can you and your husband take obedience classes to wean him off that control and onto you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

We've had him since last August. He turned 6 years old last November. I think my husband is resigning himself to using the e-collar outside when we're walking him. He does not wear any collar in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Crowned Member

Joey relates good behavior to the collar. He needs to learn to relate his reward back to you. Work on building your relationship with him, show him that the reward comes from you.

I trained Jax with a prong collar. We had no working relationship so when the prong collar came off, she would do whatever she wanted. I "fixed" this by playing frisbee with her, her favorite thing to do. I started by throwing the frisbee and yelling Yes! (her marker word). then I added in commands, Sit, Platz, Fuss and when completed properly, Yes! and throw. This taught her to look to me for a reward instead of looking to the collar for a correction.

And get a good positive based trainer. Your boy was trained strictly with compulsion. He doesn't understand there can be a reward.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Elite Member

First, sign up for some positive obedience classes. Then, start in the house, carry treats, put dog on the leash. Dont use leash pressure, but have him walk around with you. Give treat and praise when he stays with you, and is paying attention to you. Keep talking to him, telling him how smart and wonderful he is. Happy, Happy voice.

Develope a relationship with your dog. He will enjoy doing and being with you and try to please, once he knows what you want.

Electric collars do not develop a relationship between dog and handler, so I think you are on the right track to try to eliminate it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

The e-collar is a tool. Just like any training tool it can be used correctly or incorrectly. If the dog needs the E to walk nicely on leash then the tool has been used incorrectly and relied on for control instead of used to train the dog. It has nothing to do with whether or not a relationship has been developed with the dog. The same thing could be said about more PP favored training aids like head halters, no pull harnesses, etc. If your goal is for the dog to walk nicely on a loose leash then he will need to be trained to walk nicely on a loose leash.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerful1 View Post
Joey was trained all his life on an e-collar by my husband's cousin. He became a Sch3.

My husband did not really want to use it, because he felt it was a controlling mechanism, not a training one.

We haven't used it very much, and Joey does not always obey on his walks (he does know his commands). This morning was particularly bad (husband fell a couple of times because Joey pulled so hard).

Whenever we see the cousin, he shows us how to use the e-collar, and Joey is amazing with it. He walks loose leash, or no leash at all. We always have Joey on the leash because we're afraid of what will happen.

I would welcome comments, positive or not.
Just curious..how did Joey get to Sch3 if he won't listen when off the e-collar?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Jax08 - we were wondering the same thing. We noticed with the cousin's new dog that's being trained for Schutzhund, he was very good in his obedience trials and he had no e-collar on.

So does this mean if you keep up the e-collar training, that they will obey without it? It gets confusing.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Crowned Member

IMO, and it's only an opinion, I would say the dog doesn't view you as his leader. If a stranger told Jax to do something she wouldn't listen either. I'm not sure this is really about the e-collar.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerful1 View Post
Jax08 - we were wondering the same thing. We noticed with the cousin's new dog that's being trained for Schutzhund, he was very good in his obedience trials and he had no e-collar on.

So does this mean if you keep up the e-collar training, that they will obey without it? It gets confusing.

That is the idea - use the ecollar as a training tool. Like a prong - you wouldn't expect the dog to have to have the collar on to obey. or have to use a leash all the time either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page