Snake! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Snake!

Last night, while walking up from the barn with Hondo and Lonestar we came across a rat snake. It was at least 40' long and as fat as a tire...at least that is the way it looked to me. In reality it was about 5' long.

I blew any chance of keeping a cool head and queitly redirecting the dogs...I screamed like a girl and did the best River Dance the world has ever seen...all I could do was make a mad dash towards the safety of the house (after I gained control of my legs again) while screaming for the dogs to come.

Luckily, the snake didn't react to my River Dance and continued on it's merry little way. The dogs followed my lead and raced to the house. Thier only reaction to the snake was the initial reaction of "ooohh, what's that?"

After I was able to quiet my heart and change my panties, I started thinking about what I could have done different. What could I have done to use this as training experiance for the dogs? I have no clue and was curious if anybody has any advice? (With regards to training the dogs, my dancing skills are a lost cause.)

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Master Member

LOL I'm glad someone else does that dance, I steped down in a ditch one time and had one curl around my leg. Just in case that ever happens to you shaking the leg around that the snake is on only causes the snake to get tighter, and the balance is not so good on the one leg your standing on.
As far as training for the dogs they learned to stand still and waite for mom while she freaks out.

frank(Rosehall's Duke of Hearts CD, BN, RN) gsd
indy (Indy Bluestorm CD, GN, RN,CGC) BC
king bc mix
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksmom View Post
LOL I'm glad someone else does that dance, I steped down in a ditch one time and had one curl around my leg. Just in case that ever happens to you shaking the leg around that the snake is on only causes the snake to get tighter, and the balance is not so good on the one leg your standing on.
As far as training for the dogs they learned to stand still and waite for mom while she freaks out.
Oh....HEC...NO! No, no, no. Wrap around my leg....OH NO!

Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Master Member

...It's just a rat snake. It doesn't even really hurt when they bite. No offense if that's just your particular phobia, but snakes have never really bothered me unless they're venomous.

But good for your dogs! Keeping a cool head and behaving.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Crowned Member

All I want to say is thank you for not posting a picture!

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Knighted Member

Ah yes I know that dance well. I get them every spring and have yet to not do the 'snake river dance'. I have a privacy fence and I could still be on Wild Kingdom with the critters that get in.

I may have posted this before. I ran in and got an arsenal of tennis balls to pummel the snake into releasing the frog to no avail. That poor frog just sat there and blinked. I couldn't watch, the next day no frog and thankfully no snake!

As for training the dogs, you could train them to rate your dance skills. Both paws up is a perfect ten (or equal to two thumbs up)!

Oops sorry Good Karma!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Knighted Member

Thanks for the very descriptive thread. I had a great visual and enjoyed a morning laugh at your expense.(sorry)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDAlphaMom View Post

As for training the dogs, you could train them to rate your dance skills. Both paws up is a perfect ten (or equal to two thumbs up)!

Oops sorry Good Karma!
The puppy seemed to enjoy my entertaining dance skills, as he jumped and danced with me. Hondo, on the other hand, looked at me as if to say, "I seriously hope the neighbors aren't watching this."

Or, come to think of it, Hondo may have been confused by the strange squeaky noices coming from somewhere deep inside me. Either way, he didn't enjoy my theatrics as much as Lonestar did.

Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Elite Member

I rescued this little Beauty from the Barn Cat. Who would have known there are such stunning creatures at our barn, the green was bright emerald green and the belly canary yellow. It was a little stressed from the experience of almost being eaten, but recovered quickly and took off into the woods

longhairshepmom

Samson von der Nachtweide "Sam" 2011 -
Victor vom Lundborg Land "Vic" 2000-2010 RIP

2 Chi's, 1 Horse, 1 Canary, 6 Snakes, 1 Rat (not food)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Elite Member

as to what you could have done different ? I think you actually didn't do to bad considering your snake phobia.
You should see me when I see a spider or think there is one around or WORSE have one on me, like that brown widow that sat on my shoulder at the barn one day. You probably heard my scream clear across the country and I would have made the olympic distance jumping team without a problem !! I had my horse tied at the time as I was grooming her and she was NOT impressed ! Especially since the brush went flying wide and far...

longhairshepmom

Samson von der Nachtweide "Sam" 2011 -
Victor vom Lundborg Land "Vic" 2000-2010 RIP

2 Chi's, 1 Horse, 1 Canary, 6 Snakes, 1 Rat (not food)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page