Aggravated with trainers (long rant) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Aggravated with trainers (long rant)

What is it that compels trainers (and even those who are self-proclaimed) to talk down and force their methods on other people? I have met VERY few trainers who are actually down to earth and not type-A aggressive personalities. Maybe its just the area I'm in, or my bad luck...

Case in point: I walk into the local holistic dog shop to find a new bag of training treats and to show the lady that usually works there some new pictures of Kaiser. Upon overhearing my comment about "when Kaiser was 6 weeks old", a lady that was standing near the counter threw herself into the conversation to tell me that I shouldn't have brought home a puppy that age. She then proceeded to talk over me, telling me exactly how I needed to train that puppy so that he did not turn out to be a wreck. She threw in her credentials everywhere she could, noted that she's the trainer for the store and used to train here and there and everywhere, and implied that I did not have any idea what I was doing. I finally had to interrupt her, tell her I was not an idiot, that I studied zoology/animal behavior and worked with dogs for several years at a vet and have continued to do so ever since in some capacity, and I added that she did not know me, nor my circumstances.

Now, while the information she was trying to shove down my throat DID include methods I currently use, she (and many other trainers I've met) apparently felt compelled to tell me what to do. Again, not knowing a thing about me, my dogs, and without being asked.

I completely trained Dakota myself and while I am not a trainer, nor do I claim to be, I have helped friends with their dogs...and was successful in doing so in MOST cases (mostly because they had no idea what they were doing...and I only helped AFTER they approached me). As far as Dakota goes, she knows over 50 commands, and I was successful, albeit with a LOT of work, even though she has stumped 3 or 4 trainers with her unique personality.

The only reason I'm ranting here, is because with Kaiser, a pup who is already showing signs of AWESOME drive, I want to have someone who is knowledgeable help me train him, beyond what I know. Whether it is SAR/Schutzhund/Agility/whatever, most of that (aside from agility) is above and beyond anything I've ever done with Dakota. I want Kaiser to have an exciting and enriching life, but I certainly do not want to have a pushy trainer breathing down my neck while he and I are learning. Even if this lady knows what she is doing, just based on my first interaction with her I KNOW I will not pursue her services.

I suppose my question to you all is this: What do you do, when your resources are few and far between (as mine are, due to the area I live in)? I have thick skin, but I don't deserve to be treated like an idiot. Kaiser may not care one way or another about the trainer, but I sure as you-know-what do. Even as I consider puppy classes, and onto obedience courses, assuming the training methods are in line with my own, does it really matter how rude the trainer is to people? This lady told me to my face that she "just doesn't like people".

All I want, if its not too much to ask, is a trainer who cares enough about the people who own and handle the dogs, as the dogs themselves. Someone who doesn't necessarily do it for the money, but rather to help build fulfilling relationships between people and their dogs. Someone who has the patience to guide new dog owners just as much as wanting to work with those who want a challenge in learning a new sport.

deep breath...
/rant...

Kaiser ~ Jan 25, 2012 (GSD)
Dakota ~ Oct 2005 (GSD/Collie)
Mya ~ Dec 2013 (GSD)
JOIN MYA AS A SDiT...We would love your support!...at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 04:37 PM

I don't think that you are asking too much. As a trainer, I try really really hard no to talk down to people. I try and catch myself when I start to get frustrated.

When I first got Chance, I took him to see a bunch of other "professionals" for a second, third, fourth, and so on opinions. I was talked down to, told it was worthless and just to euthanize him. I was angry. Some of these people KNEW what I did for a living and others were not told what I do. I was so mad!!! I took him back and showed them what happens when you KNOW what you are doing and kicked them ALL off their high horses. After all of that, only 2 appoligized to me and told me they were in the wrong. The other ones shrugged me off as they were mostly male and I am female, therefore I have no clue , One actually told me that!

I understand your frustration. I know your area is limited in what is available, but if you have to, bounce around and open up your travel area until you find a trainer who is personable and you trust. Some of the trainers out there think they walk on water. Those people would never touch one of my dogs.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

When I had Dakota in agility, we drove a little over 1 hour, one way, just to go train. The trainer was fantastic and LOVED my girl (and I think she treated me well, too), but financially speaking it wasn't something I could keep up with due to rising gas prices. I don't mind driving a little, especially if it means Kaiser will be getting the attention I feel he (and I!!) deserve, but unfortunately I do come to a point where it could start affecting my bank account.

I will completely give a trainer respect who has EARNED it, but that includes treating me like a human too.

I have a friend who is a trainer, and she is wonderful, however she does basic training...ie) basic obedience. That is something I do on my own anyway (I use classes for distraction/socialization).

Its a shame more trainers aren't more like you!!

Mya ~ Dec 2013 (GSD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 04:51 PM

What an excellent rant! Trainers are a dime a dozen but those who teach for the love of dogs are priceless....

There's a forum here...click this link: Finding a Good Trainer.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks for the link! I may be obsessive about my dogs, but I believe its in a healthy and enriching manner...which includes ensuring (or at least trying to ensure) that my furkids are in only the healthiest environments, especially those involving people who may have a lifelong impact on them (and me!)

Mya ~ Dec 2013 (GSD)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:06 PM

Yikes if I didn't know better I'd say this post was written by me! Count yourself lucky you don't live in Hawaii (paradoxical...I know....but seriously I care more about my dogs training than the weather) It doesn't matter where I DRIVE....there doesn't seem to be anyone to fit the needs of me and my adorable/rambunctious Bear on this island. The trainer we're with isn't bad with smaller or less energetic breeds...but he doesn't seem to know anything about high drive pups and it's extremely frustrating. They treat him like a "problem puppy" when from what I read here he's just a normal, hyper GSD...

I don't have a whole lot of advice considering I'm in the same boat...but try to find someone that doesn't see your dog as a problem or something bad....find someone that knows the breed. And don't panic...the fact that you even care puts you loads ahead of many other GSD owners; you'll have an amazing adult on your hands! Just keep at it!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser2012 View Post
This lady told me to my face that she "just doesn't like people".
Well then she's in the wrong business. The people are who need to be trained the most. Training the dog is the easy part.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Crowned Member

i think you should join a group or club, i think you can learn more there from the other members and trainers. honestly as i am sure you know your puppy may not care who the trainer is, but if you are unhappy with a class/trainer, it sure will rub off on your pup and won't be a positive atmosphere.

also i think in groups or clubs trainers seem to be more tactful, give corrections or opnionions, but let the dog owner be the leader and respect what types of things your trying to do with the dog.

and to me usually these bragging trainers are a serious red flag!

thats exactly what i ended up doing with my unique gsd that none of the local trainers had a clue on, and i finally ended up joining a club and a group. much, much more positive for Sam and I...........

url
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

debbie, I agree with you! however I don't think there are any out here.

There is a schutzchund "trainer" out here, but I was NOT impressed with their facilities. At all. Again, I don't care about titles or qualifications if the dogs aren't treated well (or appear to be).

There IS one other trainer I am in contact with, and he does tracking in addition to obedience. He's had a bad rap though with his pit bulls getting loose and attacking other dogs (so the rumor goes). I'm hesitant with him...

There is another trainer about 20 minutes away, but I've not heard anything about her. It may not be a bad thing, but it may not be a good thing either. With my luck, she's in cahoots with the lady I met today.

Mya ~ Dec 2013 (GSD)
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

i would go and observe every trainer in your area. sit in on classes see what goes on. they should have no problem with someone observing.

Tracking is an awesome sport and i would try and get into that if you can. why didn't you think the dogs in your local SchH club were being treated well? sometimes SchH can look like a rough sport, etc, but, no the dogs should never be mistreated. alot of SchH clubs you can join just for the Ob and Tracking. are there any other SchH clubs within a reasonable distance.?

i would just start going to any place nearby and sitting in on things, see how that goes.

url
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page