Clicker Training.. the moment it clicked.. hehe :D - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Clicker Training.. the moment it clicked.. hehe :D

Ok pun intended.. haha. But I honestly never ever got the point of clicker training.. it just seemed like a whole lot of work for a result you can get without have to balance treats, a clicker, timing, blah blah blah.. but I have to say.. I was walking the kids the other day and literally had an "aha" moment.. when it literally clicked.. the point of clicker training.. it made so much sense and I essentially did that while training just using a marker word instead of a click.. Just felt like sharing, lol.. I was so excited to finally have gotten it..

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
Ok pun intended.. haha. But I honestly never ever got the point of clicker training.. it just seemed like a whole lot of work for a result you can get without have to balance treats, a clicker, timing, blah blah blah.. but I have to say.. I was walking the kids the other day and literally had an "aha" moment.. when it literally clicked.. the point of clicker training.. it made so much sense and I essentially did that while training just using a marker word instead of a click.. Just felt like sharing, lol.. I was so excited to finally have gotten it..
The clicker is the marker. You can use almost anything as your marker to train with. The reason I like the clicker over a marker word (which I do use as well) is for the exact-ness of the timing, and the neutrality of the sound. A clicker never sounds tired, frustrated, angry, whatever. In the case of deaf dogs, a flashlight can be the marker and works quite well.

Don't ya just love it when something suddenly hits you and you've figured it out?

My Dog: Krissie ~ Beagle Mix Extraordinaire 09/09
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Banned

The "old-school" method is with a marker word instead of a click. People like it because if you're showing, you can't use a clicker anyways. Then again, you can't really use words also. The clicker is much more precise with timing and the dog generally can understand it a lot quicker. Think about how long a click takes as compared to a "yes" or a "good dog." It's really each person's preference, we clicker trained for a little bit, but then kept forgetting to bring it with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 07:33 AM

I just started using the clicker again. I get a better response to the clicker than the verbal marker. He loves it but I always forget to bring it out and about (need to train myself).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:08 PM

I use a marker word ("yes") with my dog because clicker training really didn't seem to work well with either of us. I was completely stalling on training with my foster dog and brought out the clicker and THAT was the answer! He hadn't learned simple little tricks like "shake" and "spin" for weeks and then in one day with the clicker he had everything down pat. Must be sometime with my timing and tone that doesn't work for him. I'm highly suggesting it to whoever adopts him. My dog, Lucas, on the other hand couldn't care less.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
it made so much sense and I essentially did that while training just using a marker word instead of a click..
I'm not sure if this was your aha moment (that you can use a marker word rather than click) but I thought I'd mention that there is at least one study that shows that as far as the bridge stimulus is concerned- a click is more effective than a word. (I am not intending to imply that a word won't work for a bridge, just pointing out that the clicker may prove to be more effective.)

http://www.clickertraining.com/files...S_EFFICACY.pdf

Quote:
Experimental training of two groups of 10 naïve dogs (Canis familiaris) to perform the target task differed only by the assigned bridging stimulus: a clicker or spoken word "good." Although both types of bridging stimuli are used in the training field to indicate the precise instance of correct behavior, this study represents the first systematic comparison of the efficacy of these two types of bridging stimuli. There was a decrease of over 1/3 in training time and number of required reinforcements for the clicker as compared to the verbal condition group. The clicker trained dogs achieved behavior acquisition in significantly (p < .05) fewer minutes and required significantly fewer primary reinforcements than verbal condition dogs. The difference in effectiveness of the two bridging stimuli was most apparent at the onset of each new task component. It appears that use of the clicker, by providing a more precise marker than a verbal bridging stimulus, is responsible for superior acquisition of complex behaviors such as that studied here.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:58 PM

I use a clicker, and also a marker word. I've had some AMAZING results with my foster Beagle! I plan to keep on clicker training all of of my foster dogs now.

Shiloh, 5 year old German Shepherd Mix
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

WOW sorry I never got notifications about the replies! lol.. well I haven't used clicker training yet! My training class does right now but because I did "get" it before, I decided to train without it. Though I am contemplating trying it as Athena is a little more difficult than Titan was, lol.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page