"attack" training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

"attack" training

Just for my own curiosity (not interested in this type of training) but how does it work?

The dog gets trained so that if the owner instructs the dog to attack, it attacks. But ONLY the owner's instruction.

Or if anyone says it, the dog will react?

~ Alana

Puppy Loves:
Simba - December 16th, 2011
Bingo - March 16th, 2004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337f0x View Post

Or if anyone says it, the dog will react?
No, the dog shouldn't react.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSA- PDC
Rest in Peace my boys
Zeus 2000-2009
Odin 2010-2011
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Knighted Member

What do you mean by attack training? Personal protection? Schutzhund?

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 05:26 PM

My significant other and I debated about this. Protection is unregulated and different training across the board with no standard. Shutz is a competion slash sport which is great bonding between you and your gsd where protection (in our case) would required 4months boot camped like training where the trainer have free range to do anything. In either case, be careful bc now you will have a loaded dog that in a any situation can be dangers bc you would truly have a dangerous animal. I say this because I know a guy who takes his gsd and shows him off and saying he is trained in protection to everyone and one day he hurt another owners dog and thehandler during the scuffle. Well, to say it simple it ended in court and bc he had a trained protection dog it was his neglengence that he knew he had a dangerous gsd and didn't take full measure to insure this would not happen. Just like have those beware of dog signs vs dog on property.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 02:01 PM

I'm not familiar with how protection training is done, but I've heard that it can be trained as a game for the dog rather than teaching him to be truly aggressive. So that the bite and hold on the attacker's arm is kind of like a tug game for the dog, and the dog must have a solid obedience to start and stop on command. Maybe someone else can confirm this?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Knighted Member

Yes true to a point.
Some dogs bite "for real" and some dogs bite because it's a game

Ash

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Yes true to a point.
Some dogs bite "for real" and some dogs bite because it's a game
And for some dogs it starts as a game and is later translated into real bites, either by sport or by temperament.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Master Member

I would consider any dog a "loaded gun". If a dog has bad nerves, it may bite. My girl does stellar protection work in schutzhund, but she would never bite somebody in the real world. She is certainly not dangerous to take around to new people - she LOVES people.

www.rescuedrover.com
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Knighted Member

Yep well-said
My male used to bite for fun, but he isn't playing around anymore and bites seriously. Trying to catch my female up to him now. She still likes her flirt pole and thinks the sleeve is boring

Ash

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaina View Post
I would consider any dog a "loaded gun". If a dog has bad nerves, it may bite. My girl does stellar protection work in schutzhund, but she would never bite somebody in the real world. She is certainly not dangerous to take around to new people - she LOVES people.

How about a new person wearing a sleeve? Heh! Heh! Just kidding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page