How long for CGC? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

How long for CGC?

Just curious on how long it would generally take to get your dog CGC certified. Titan is good with basic obedience, but I'd like to get him CGC certified.. any suggestions on routes to take and a possible timeline?

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Banned

It depends on the dog and how much training or practice it needs.
Some dogs can take the CGC test without training and pass the first time.
You don't HAVE to go through training to take the test, but many
people do. It is mostly a test of the dog's calmness and approachability.
That hardest part is (usually) the test of leaving the dog with a stranger and leaving the room for 3 minutes while your dog must remain calm.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Oh ok.. see right now the only thing I think will be the problem.. is people approaching.. he tugs a whole lot, doesn't jump, just wants to sniff the heck out of them and then sits down next to me.. we are working on that issue because it's obnoxious. Any suggestions on that? As far as the leaving with a stranger, does that mean he can't whine at all?

v/r,

Whitney
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Crowned Member

I took a group training class that ended with a CGC test. He passed everything & did so good but failed the supervised seperation We will test again and I know this part is a weakness for us..mainly my fault.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

OH ok.. well they offer the class at the training facility he took Basic Obedience at.. so I will look into that. He will do good on most everything but I haven't tested out the leave with stranger part.. and as I said before his "fun" way of introducing himself. Lol.

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Oh and good luck on your next test!!

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
Oh and good luck on your next test!!
Thank you He was 8 months the last time he tested. I am hoping with some maturity & training we have done he will be ok this time. He will be two at the end of the month.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Knighted Member

See if you can get him near a wheelchair and what the reaction is. My neighbor was in an accident and we walked up to him while he was in the wheelchair, she was skitish but it was ok. I should have rented one for a week and left it in my livingroom. The day we took the test there was a man in a wheelchair recertifing his dog and the dog was "staring" at Lakota so Lakota gave a bark. The tester told me that was what happened and to take her outside for a while, and that she should not have allowed me to take the test. Lakota took the CGC cold, we hadn't been to classes for a few months and she passed by the hair on her butt. Mostly because she doesn't like when people pat the top of her head, she puts her ears down. When you practices long down stays, leave the room. I used to hide behind the door.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
See if you can get him near a wheelchair and what the reaction is. My neighbor was in an accident and we walked up to him while he was in the wheelchair, she was skitish but it was ok. I should have rented one for a week and left it in my livingroom. The day we took the test there was a man in a wheelchair recertifing his dog and the dog was "staring" at Lakota so Lakota gave a bark. The tester told me that was what happened and to take her outside for a while, and that she should not have allowed me to take the test. Lakota took the CGC cold, we hadn't been to classes for a few months and she passed by the hair on her butt. Mostly because she doesn't like when people pat the top of her head, she puts her ears down. When you practices long down stays, leave the room. I used to hide behind the door.
Great idea.. I will keep working with him! Titan is pretty good about most things but then again we don't have too many random things come around.. I brought out a tape measurer the other day to get an estimate on his height, which I'd never done before, but he was a little weary of that dang tape measurer! Lol. Athena my girl was petrified of it.. but she is of most new things right now.. she is going to require a little work..

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Crowned Member

Wee took a 6 wk basic obedience course and the test was given the next week. All but two out of our class passed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page