Started new ob classes and they confused the heck out of me! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Started new ob classes and they confused the heck out of me!

We stared more obedience classes with Molly with a different training facility.CKC(Canadian kennel Club). They have a totally 100% positive training method. They told us no leash corrections allowed, we can not be negative in any way(can't say the word NO), not allowed prong, pinch.... collars. With the last trainer we learnt in a positive manner(treat or toy reward) but we used leash corrections and we trained with a prong.

How are you suppose to correct unwanted behavior?

RIP Velcro 9years old (September 22, 2011)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Can't wait to meet you again!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miss Molly May - born November 15th 2009
Mr. Max -born April11 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 03:45 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

We have a SchH club member who does rally and CKC obedience with her dogs - just go along with the class, and when you are training on your own, use whatever correction you feel you need to proof the behaviour.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Molly May View Post
We stared more obedience classes with Molly with a different training facility.CKC(Canadian kennel Club). They have a totally 100% positive training method. They told us no leash corrections allowed, we can not be negative in any way(can't say the word NO), not allowed prong, pinch.... collars. With the last trainer we learnt in a positive manner(treat or toy reward) but we used leash corrections and we trained with a prong.

By changing to another class!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Molly May View Post

Unless it was literally my only option, I probably wouldn't stick around..

Feuergarten German Shepherds

post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
Unless it was literally my only option, I probably wouldn't stick around..
We have very, very limited resources up here! I am open minded to different training methods and will give them a chance! I guess it will be another learning curve for us!

RIP Velcro 9years old (September 22, 2011)
Can't wait to meet you again!

Miss Molly May - born November 15th 2009
Mr. Max -born April11 2014

Last edited by Miss Molly May; 03-14-2012 at 04:13 PM.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Crowned Member

I say take the class & give it a try.

I do like a good leash pop every now & then...it wold be hard not to be able to do that! LOL
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Crowned Member

Don't knock it until you've tried it! I have used just about every method in the book but I trained Rafi without a prong, collar or leash corrections. In fact, I trained him primarily with play! I have also been retraining my partner's 9 yo dog using similar methods and she has come a long way in 2 years.

Generally people who are purely positive use redirection instead of corrections. Check out Pat Miller's books and articles. She is an excellent trainer and her instructions are very clear.

I used to be almost purely positive but have gotten lazy recently. :-( Rafi is super biddable and doesn't need corrections. In fact, it slows down his learning when I get sharp with him.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Elite Member

Can't even tell a dog "no"??? If it were me, I'd drop the class.

Kelly
Dalmatians:
FOREVER in my heart:
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Elite Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteringGlass View Post
Can't even tell a dog "no"??? .
It hurts their feelings.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWowMeow View Post
Don't knock it until you've tried it! I have used just about every method in the book but I trained Rafi without a prong, collar or leash corrections. In fact, I trained him primarily with play! I have also been retraining my partner's 9 yo dog using similar methods and she has come a long way in 2 years.

Generally people who are purely positive use redirection instead of corrections. Check out Pat Miller's books and articles. She is an excellent trainer and her instructions are very clear.

I used to be almost purely positive but have gotten lazy recently. :-( Rafi is super biddable and doesn't need corrections. In fact, it slows down his learning when I get sharp with him.
Your last sentence is the key! For some dogs PO will probably work ok although it might it be slower and less reliable in some cases (this last from JEAN DONALDSON herself).

BUT, PO training will not work very well, if at all, for some dogs for some behaviors for some trainers. That is FACT.

A softer more submissive dog will often do pretty well with PO training. A hard headed, more independent, more confident dog will often decide that he wants to do what HE wants to do when he wants to do it; and the redirection and/or treat is not nearly as interesting as what he wants to do at the moment. SO then what does the trainer do?

That is, what does the trainer do if the thing the dog is doing, is much more attractive than what you want him to do?

And please don't say, as I have heard MSO ANY times "Get a higher value treat", unless you can tell me a higher value treat than a small piece of raw meat!

Corrections work! And done right also result in a VERY happy working dog as well as a Reliable dog!

And personally in my case with Baron (4+ yo male GSD with a few DA issues) a much more sociable dog!

Even Jean Donaldson in one of her books says that PO training will result in a slower to teach and less reliable result for some things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page