Newbie help!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Newbie help!!

Hey Guys,
I have read through all the posts I could find in the training section and each one gave me some info but I was hoping for a little more clarification. I have two recuse Timber(GSD) and Sabre(wolf/GSD). Timber is roughly 2 years old and was found out in a field somewhere so there is no history on him, Sabre is roughly 3, again he was found in a dumpster in LA so there isnt any background on him either. I have had Timber for almost a year now and Sabre for about 6 months. Thats the background.

Here is my problem, I will start with Timber: He knows his basic commands, sit, lay down, off, shake, and we are working on stay. He isn't food motivated so I dont use that as a training tool, but he does have a prey drive, if I take off across the yard or jump on my sons little quad he chases after it and tries to catch it his mouth even gets all foamy. I took him through a reputable 9 week training program and he still isn't listening. He is great on leash but as soon as it comes off its like we dont exist. I tried a Dogtra Collar and that just made him completely shut down. I am out of ideas, is there something I am doing wrong?

Sabre: Just doesnt listen period, he is food motivated. He knows sit, lay down, shake and speak. Thats it. Ok on the leash still working daily with him on that, but he reminds me of a cat, he does what he wants when he wants he could care less about human interaction so trying to keep him focused has been almost impossible, and the Dogtra collar made him very aggressive.

I dont know what else to do, should I try another trainging program or just continue to work daily with them? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.!

I don't know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds like you could use NILIF with both dogs. Sabre would benefit from being tethered to you so he must do whatever you do and what you allow him to do rather than live by his whim. Training two at once is a challenge!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2586 View Post

Sabre: Just doesnt listen period, he is food motivated. He knows sit, lay down, shake and speak. Thats it. Ok on the leash still working daily with him on that, but he reminds me of a cat, he does what he wants when he wants he could care less about human interaction so trying to keep him focused has been almost impossible, and the Dogtra collar made him very aggressive.
This is classic wolf-hybrid behavior. You basically have to train them more like a cat or a wild animal, clicker training will be more effective than traditional dog-training methods. It would be great if you can find a trainer or behaviorist who is familiar with clicker/positive training and more independent breeds. Keep working with both dogs daily AND go to a trainer, and it will probably help you a great deal to keep them separated. They should have an hour a day or so to play with each other, but otherwise, they should be treated as two separate individuals and be trained individually. They may be over-bonded to each other. NILIF treatment for the both of them will help them learn that humans are the source of all good things in life, and that will help them focus better on YOU.
[/QUOTE]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Elite Member

I watch a really interesting Dog Whisperer Episode on Wolf hybrids. I learn quite a bit from the show. They had very interesting points from both sides. He brought in a wolf expert to handle to wolf side and he handle the domestic dog side. I have added a link where you can watch part of the show.

DOG WHISPERER Cesar Millan on WOLF-DOG Hybrids (Oct. 2010) - YouTube

Otto Blk GSD 02/23/10
Circe Blk Sable GSD 06/22/08
My fur babies!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 01:28 PM

[QUOTE=JC2586;2427548]
/QUOTE]

if sabre IS truly any part wolfdog then this is normal wolfdog behavior. you will be lucky to get any further training out of him. i have a wolfdog and i find myself feeling lucky when i have a day i don't have to chase her down or clean up a shredding in the house. you will never be able to train him like a regular dog, they do NOT respond to correction (hence the behavior w/the Dogtra collar - don't do that again), they do not respond to harsh measures of any kind. they don't see themselves as less than or underlings of humans. they see themselves as equals or better and they demand to be treated that way. you don't own them, they consent to stay with you. you have to earn the right to stay with them. for them it's all about trust and companionship, their trust of you and your companionship to them. NOT the other way 'round.

i have a couple of sites you should look into w/loads of information. i would suggest you check them out and do some heavy duty study. take it to heart if you intend on living with this animal. remember, a wolfdog is not a wolf, it is not a dog, it is OTHER.

Home - Wolf-dog Education...

Wolf Dunn Links

dw

the attachment is a pick of Sasha, my gsd/husky/wolfdog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0044.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	15811  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 03:08 PM

Are you 100% positive Sabre is a wolf-dog? What is it about him that confirms he is part wolf? I ask because I am sometimes asked if my GSD/ husky is part wolf and she has some of the features sometimes seen in wolfdogs, although I am positive she is all dog, the result of irresponsible backyard breeders and nothing more. I've seen other northern breed mixes that have looked very wolfy, but were also in fact just dogs and it is not always easy to positively ID wolfdogs. Not that there aren't wolfdogs being bred and also abandoned in staggering numbers Im sure.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewm11 View Post
Are you 100% positive Sabre is a wolf-dog? What is it about him that confirms he is part wolf? I ask because I am sometimes asked if my GSD/ husky is part wolf and she has some of the features sometimes seen in wolfdogs, although I am positive she is all dog, the result of irresponsible backyard breeders and nothing more. I've seen other northern breed mixes that have looked very wolfy, but were also in fact just dogs and it is not always easy to positively ID wolfdogs. Not that there aren't wolfdogs being bred and also abandoned in staggering numbers Im sure.
I am going off what the rescue told me as well as the vet. He is very tall and has a slender body, shreds anything he can get in his mouth, and when we first got he he was very aggressive (makes sense with the other post that said its about trust and they want to be equals) I have kept asking if he was a husky mix and they keep say wolf, but Im no expert
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have started clicker training with Timber and he seems to be responding a little better. I will definately watch the above video as well as read the links provided. To be honest I didn't even know what NILIF training was until I googled it just now. So basically for anything that they need they have to perform for it correct? Secondly since Timber does have the strong prey/herding drive i have been using that to get out some excess energy before working on training, should I not be doing this since for him it is a game? Thanks for all the help everyone!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleOttoMom View Post
I watch a really interesting Dog Whisperer Episode on Wolf hybrids. I learn quite a bit from the show. They had very interesting points from both sides. He brought in a wolf expert to handle to wolf side and he handle the domestic dog side. I have added a link where you can watch part of the show.

DOG WHISPERER Cesar Millan on WOLF-DOG Hybrids (Oct. 2010) - YouTube

I just watched this clip and Sabre does everything that was mentioned in the video, and I didn't realize what he was actually doing. Everyday when I come home he jumps up and puts his nose to my mouth, he is very food aggressive and if he sees a rabbit or gopher in the back yard he will get it. He has tried to escape multiple times, and what I thought was playing to him according to the video is actually predatory mode. So even though him and Timber get along I really need to treat them as if they were two completely different species?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2586 View Post
I just watched this clip and Sabre does everything that was mentioned in the video, and I didn't realize what he was actually doing. Everyday when I come home he jumps up and puts his nose to my mouth, he is very food aggressive and if he sees a rabbit or gopher in the back yard he will get it. He has tried to escape multiple times, and what I thought was playing to him according to the video is actually predatory mode. So even though him and Timber get along I really need to treat them as if they were two completely different species?
I would. "The Wolf" and "The Domesticated Dog".
I'm no expert..... but a house cat isn't the same as a Tiger or Lion. You would treat them the same....?

Otto Blk GSD 02/23/10
Circe Blk Sable GSD 06/22/08
My fur babies!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page