How do I socialize a wary dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

How do I socialize a wary dog

I am new to this form so forgive me if someone has asked a similar question.

Zeeva (my GSD) is very wary of strangers and other dogs. I can't take her to the dog park as she hides behind me the entire time and ignores the other dogs. I have taken her to puppy classes at petsmart (was unimpressed by these). She socialized with the group but classroom settings don't always translate to real world settings.

Anyway, any suggestions would help.

Also, off topic but I have a husky who also has difficulty socializing with other dogs as he will become standoffish and seemingly ready to start a fight.

I keep both my dogs away from other dogs because I don't want a fight to break out. But this is not how I want them to live their lives...

As I said, any suggestions would help.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 AM

I am not very experienced with your situation but I would start by stepping up the training, ideally privately with someone who knows the breeds. Aside from training, make sure they are both getting the individual attention, exercise (these are two VERY active breeds),and mental stimulation they require. I wouldn't worry about the dog park for now. I would try to get them to a happier, more confident place, then work on socialization. Good luck, you will get there!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Crowned Member

LAT (look at that) and lots of positive reinforcement for any initiative to be friendly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Crowned Member

Some GSDs are just not outgoing, wanna be your friend kind of dogs. Zeeva sounds a little underconfident, a little shy. How old is she? Is there a reason why you want her to go to dog parks? She might be happier with just a play date with one or two other dogs that she already knows and is comfortable with.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Zeeva is 2 years old. She isn't the one I'm too concerned about as she has a few friends she plays with in the park and is content with them actually so you're right. I should be content with that too...

I am more concerned about my husky...but I know this isn't the right forum for that unless someone has any general rules of engagement for dog aggression/overly excitement etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page