Should I try to get the CGC? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Should I try to get the CGC?

My stepdad pointed this out the other day. The CGC helps to get insurance for homes and can get you into a restrictive apartment.

Rocky is completely social outside, but has to be put in a kennel when strangers come over.

Would this be lying if he passed the CGC with flying colors and I use that to get homeowner's ins. when he is fearful aggressive/territorial in home? (takes about 7 visits with him staying in kennel until he is comfy with "strngers")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Only asking because doesn't homeowner's ins. only apply to "at home" claims. And though he might be perfect in public, if a stranger somehow got to him in the house or future backyard, he would definitely scare them away at minimum
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Banned

In my area I've never heard of the CGC getting anyone into a restrictive apartment. Its an insurance policy issue so most of the actual managers have no say in the breeds they allow in. I haven't looked into the homeowners insurance policy, but you can get those no matter what dog you have, it will just increase your premium, and I don't know how much (if any) the CGC will bring that down. A CGC can help convince a private owner that you have a good dog and should be able to live in their place, but that's if they even know what it is and are willing to work with you.

I wouldn't hang my hat on the CGC to get you into an apartment complex that won't allow GSDs or lower your homeowners insurance by a significant amount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Crowned Member

I would go for it. Passing the CGC isn't lying as long as the evaluator is truthful about their observations.

I don't know anything about apartments or renting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:26 PM

well altho it's a good thing to have a CGC on your dog, it won't necessarily get you homeowners insurance nor get you into a restrictive place to live.

Homeowners Insurance don't give a rats patooty about a dog, if it's on their "do not insure list" nothing will change that. If a place says "no dogs allowed" or any other such restriction when it comes to dogs, they are usually not going to change their policy.

You have to know what a policy covers when it comes to dogs.

Get a CGC it certainly can't hurt, but it won't do any good if an insurance co or housing does not allow german shepherds.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks guys! I went to a housing fair this weekend and out of 50 apartments, 5 of them knew what a CGC was and were willing to allow pits/gsds/rotties in ONLY if they had it. 3 of the apartments let those dog types in WITH a prior meeting with the dog and a "doggy resume" with all the dogs training and trainers (with contact numbers and organizations addresses) listed. I was very surprised how educated many of the apartments were.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Crowned Member

No. If I have my dog out and about with me and it decides to bite someone. They can sue me. My home-owner's insurance protects the bank from my being sued, I think. That is why, when you have a mortgage, they require it.

Get your CGC. I have never had to present mine to insurance companies or anyone else, but it is a good goal, and might make a difference to a potential landlord. When you go to rent a place, you do not have to tell them about every behavioral issue your dog might have. You tell them that he has his CGC which would be true. And you can back it up with your certificate. There is no lying going on.

At the same time, knowing your dog is territorially aggressive, you have to ensure that he never has any opportunity to exercise his jaws on anyone. That includes the landlord if they have to deal with something while you are out. So you might have to crate your dog whenever you leave. And after you are installed, I would let them know that your dog will act aggressively if they come in while he is crated. That is not that out of the ordinary. The dog cannot fun, he has to fight if there is a threat.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Crowned Member

Your dog might be fine if you go and meet with them as he will not be in his home. I would go ahead and get the certificate. It does indicate that you trained your dog to a goal.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 PM
DTS
Master Member

I just got into an apartment that doesn't allow aggressive breeds but was willing to do a meet and greet and if she had taken any OB classes. We didn't pass the CGC when she was 9 months because she got too excited when meeting a dog and didn't pass the leaving us for 3 minutes. They didn't know what a CGC was all they were interested in was meeting her which she passed and he just taking 1 OB class. And it didn't matter where it came from. And when we did the meet and greet he met her, petted her and then was like okay great she is welcome here.. All in 5 minutes.
I'm sure different places will be more/ less extensive in the meet and greet. Some wanted vet/ trainer recommendations, some were absolutely no gsds no matter how mch trainig was done and some let them in and didn't care to meet them. This was in Gainesville, Fl. I'm sure every place is different
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I put a sign in neon yellow on his kennel "Do not pet or open door. Will bite, HARD" right above where you open it. My bedroom door has a sign that says "Warning-Uncrated German Shepherd. Will bite. If maintenance, call xxx-xxx-xxxx." and my front door says "My german shepherd can make it to the door in .5 seconds. Can you?"

My stepdad told me to take pictures of all the signs just in case some dummy from the apartment ever comes in and ignores all the signs and gets bit when I'm not home. (he is crated when I go to class, uncrated in my room when I go to the gym)

My roommate's parents love all the signs. They are ugly but do their job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page