how to stop him from being Overly excited while training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

how to stop him from being Overly excited while training

I have a 10 month old who is calm most of the time except training. Once I ask him to sit or lay down its over he become super excited. He does what I say put it at a very high energy. If i happen to be using treats he **** near bites off my hand when i reward him. Treats dont even have to be present for him to go after my hands thinking theres treats. How do i get him to calm down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 02:35 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

You can start by teaching him to take treats gently and exhibit impulse control around food in general, outside of a formal training session. This game is really great for that:

I teach my dogs from the time they're young puppies that the way to get the food is to ignore the food and look at me instead, so mugging me for treats is counterproductive and doesn't work. The more food motivated a dog is, the faster they're going to learn how to "make" you give them the food. I do impulse control with the food bowl at mealtime too, starting really easy and then increasing in difficulty. Even though you haven't been doing this for a long time already there's no reason you can't start now.

It's also helpful to keep YOUR energy level low when he gets amped up. Keefer gets all excited if I get the leash down because he knows he's going for a walk. If he jumps up and down and gets vocal, I simply stop and wait for him to calm down, and then I resume. The longer that takes, the longer he has to wait to get what he wants.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kac46047 View Post
I have a 10 month old who is calm most of the time except training. Once I ask him to sit or lay down its over he become super excited. He does what I say put it at a very high energy. If i happen to be using treats he **** near bites off my hand when i reward him. Treats dont even have to be present for him to go after my hands thinking theres treats. How do i get him to calm down?
We've learned in class to put the treat in your hand, make a fist, and tell the dog to wait for it, once they back off and stop nosing your hand(because they smell the treat), open your hand and say take it--they do not get the treat until they back off. Pretty much like the video and it does work!! I have used this with all my dogs and they are gentle enough to take a treat from your mouth(even the puppy that is now 6 months old)

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Thank You Cassidy's mom! that is an awesome video and i will definitly try it. Yes we have been through the excited leash episodes lol but I do have it so when he seems me go for the leash he sits paitently by the door. Now its super easy to get the gentle leader on because as much as we try he does not get the no pulling thing. He has gotten better and impoveing with that everyday. Now im gonna go try out these video tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page