training help needed.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

training help needed..

i have had a german shepherd now for 3 years. i made a mistake on not training her or socializing her enough i know big mistake. she knows how to sit stay and come but it sometimes takes me to say it 3 or 4 times before she listens and she doesnt focus on me very well. she is always looking around and other stuff. i have thought about taking her to Obedience traing to help her socialize and obey and also to help me beable to train her better any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Crowned Member

Take her to an obedience class. It will do both you a world of good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Alright I will!. Thank you!. Does anyone know of any good obidence schools in the Tulsa, oklahoma area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Crowned Member

I would definitely go check out the Tulsa dog training club: Tulsa Dog Training Club - About TDTC

I've always had good luck with training clubs. Just ask if you can watch a class or two and see what you think.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 01:55 PM

I would recommend you going to leerburg.com ED has a lot of good training videos, and he is a very good trainer. Try going there, they have info on your problem. And I wouldn't go to a training class, if I was you.

Ray
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Banned

Go to a training class...a video online isn't going to help you. YOU need to be shown what YOU are doing wrong and only an instructor will be able to critique you. Although you may think you're doing something correctly after watching a video, there might be small signals in your body language, or the way you are praising that are telling the dog otherwise. Go to a class as its clear your self-taught in home training hasn't worked (not a dig at you, just stating that it doesn't work). I read a bunch of books and watched videos too, but until I got to class I had no idea how many things I was doing wrong that were confusing my dog.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9 Trainer View Post
I wouldn't go to a training class, if I was you.
Care to elaborate?

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman20s View Post
but it sometimes takes me to say it 3 or 4 times before she listens
No wonder. You say it ONCE and MAKE it happen! If you can't make it happen, don't give the command. She has learned that she has options, like ignoring your commands.

You might want to start using new commands (words), ones that she DOESN'T have options for!

Carolina Johnson

Last edited by GSDBESTK9; 03-05-2012 at 04:22 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
And I wouldn't go to a training class, if I was you.

Ray
I agree, if you don't have good focus from her. You need to start one on one with a private trainer. Then you can start gradually adding distractions as her focus on you gets better and better. Once you are pretty comfortable with her focus on you, then you can maybe think of taking her to group classes.

Carolina Johnson

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Banned

this is the first time i've heard someone recommend not going
to a class or private trainer. why wouldn't you go to a class
or private trainer? also, if you were the OP you would do
whatever the OP does.

Quote:
I would recommend you going to leerburg.com ED has a lot of good training videos, and he is a very good trainer. Try going there, they have info on your problem.

>>>> And I wouldn't go to a training class, if I was you.<<<<

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page