on to a new training hurdle need suggstions (long) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
DTS
Master Member

on to a new training hurdle need suggstions (long)

background:when jasmine was about 5 months old she started fear barking hackles raised. we got her at 4 months and her byb did not socialize her at all. at 7 months we started seeing a trainer. she has never lunged, growled, shown teeth, nipped, or bit.

Progress: Jasmine would bark at anyone she laid eyes on. people 15 ft away, people up close. other dogs (excited high pitch bark or deep bark with hackles if its a big dog). jasmine will be 2 years next week.
We can now have people walk passed us, walk up to us (except for one thing discussed later), be around us and dogs pass us and be around us (for the most part, she loves other dogs we work hard at this she still gets over excited if im not really on my game). she can do these things standing, in a sit, in a crowd, in an isle, and in a down. when in public i do tons of OB and i still use treats.

New hurdle: I feel like we have the watch game down pat. it took about a year.. i like tons of baby steps. We still have 1 problem. when people approach and want to interact with her, say hi, pet her, use their "baby talk voice" she will bark. I had a lady approach me in petsmart tonight and she asked if she was friendly i told her she was shy and she kissed to her and said hi in which jasmine returned 2 barks. the lady was like oh ok well never mind and walked away.. she was carrying a month old baby. this was my completely my fault for not being on guard and body blocking. I had one of the trainers approach me and jasmine and we talked she wanted to know if i trained anywhere and i gave my trainers name and she told me how pretty she was and asked if she could pet her. i told her jasmine was hand shy but she could give her a cookie. jasmine accepted the cookie and didnt bark. a lady also let go her yorkie who ran towards us and i turned away with the dog hot on our heels and jasmine obeyed her leave it.

goal: i want to be able to have people approach her without the barking. we are planning to move to gainesville, fl in the fall. we live in ocala in the country so its not bad but we want to be closer to school and work. not many apartments allow gsds and we have found 2 that are willing to do a meet and greet. one of which we will be doing tomorrow. i want to be able to pass so we can move up there without an hassle. if she doesnt pass we will just stay where we are but id rather move and save the wear and tear on our vehicles amoung other things that will be easier if we move.

need a plan: i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to accomplish this. is the treats a good start? i dont really feel comfortable asking strangers to give her cookies. We have put her in any available class with my trainer:sub novice OB, novice OB, open OB, and agility 1 and 2in the past year. we will put her in a trick class, fly ball, or rally 1 next depending on which class she will offer. we do this just for the socialization because it is a better training enviroment than pet stores. Once jasmine gets to know someone she will allow attention. she opens up to women quicker and is more hesitant toward men. but she will allow the men in the class to pet her, although she isnt thrilled as she is with women. if she really knows someone man or woman she craves attention.

is there anyway to get rid of the barking or is this just genetic? she is very vocal, whines and high pitch barks sometimes (especially during agility practice she loves agility).
suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by DTS; 02-28-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
DTS
Master Member

Bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page