Stranger Danger? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Stranger Danger?

With my 7 month old GSD we have a goal of getting the AKC Good K-9 Award. I am concerned about his ability to allow strangers, at my persmission, come to pet him. We have be attending training classess (Kindergarden, basic and currently in advanced) Also,a ctively taken our pup "Thor" out every weekend typically to pet smart or another pet store weather or not we need too.

Here is my trouble: He'll resists people petting him, some times he just runs behind me, others he'll bark or recently he went to nip. I know to correct him in the instant and i realize I gotta keep doing it. But I wonder what other tips might be out there.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Knighted Member

Sometimes I just think this is their personality. Many dogs do not like being petted over their heads. I do not make my dog greet anyone. If a person wants to see my dog, I ask that they do not approach her, but let my dog approach them and smell them first, then may pet under the chin or chest. Many times my dog is not interested in meeting people and that is fine with me. I don't want to make contact with everyone I meet either.

I know some people believe in using a whole lot of treats, but our trainer said it is not a good idea to let other people feed your dog.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Knighted Member

My girl is not fond of strangers and I am okay with that. I adopted her when she was 16 months old and in the 3 years I have had her she has nipped at several people. Her behavior is easily managed, and it includes protecting her from meetings that make her insecure.

My boy LOVES people. I don't think there has ever been anyone he didn't like.

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
I know some people believe in using a whole lot of treats, but our trainer said it is not a good idea to let other people feed your dog.
That is true. Because the dog will go over threshold for something rewarding, and if he's approaching someone for a treat and going over threshold but the person doesn't have a treat then you could be in trouble.

My boy isn't fond of strangers and it worried me about his CGC. I started rewarding him for allowing people to put him or going up to people. So he could go up on his own time, treats are coming from me, and I can watch his theshold myself.

So he goes up to sniff someone "yes!", treat, allows someone to pet him "Yes!", etc. And he did earn his CGC.

But definitely manage situations, learn what makes him more uneasy. For my boy it's when people immediately fixate on him and approach. If they approach and ignore him he's much more comfortable with them. Turning to the side also helps.

Also he's better in situations where the people were already there, rather than going somewhere then they approach.

Hopefully this isn't too jumbled and makes sense.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate all the feedback and perspectives. It all makes sense. Thor is just fine watching people but gets uncomfortable getting approached by strangers. I definately don't want to create a situation that affects him badly. Getting the CGC aware is definately a must for him, I believe, and I am glad to hear that your pup was able to obtain it.

I am new to the German Sheperd breed so I am sure I still have a lot of learning. He so freaking smart!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page