Training Exercises - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Training Exercises

I'm taking Dakota to training classes, working on her reactivity (which the trainer has not witnessed). I enjoy the classes even though we are not really moving forward, but I like having her in a class environment amoung different dogs. Sometimes we do interesting training exercises.

One of the exercises that we did was to put our dogs in a sit stay, leave the room and give our dog the down command. Dakota did great as did most of the dogs in the class. We also put our dogs in a sit stay and then individually call your dog to come, and return your dog to a sit stay. A few got caught up in the moment and would come to their handler when the dog beside them moved. Dakota was perfect.

Now where I'm having a problem. This instructor will do commands individually moving around the room while only one dog does the command. When we are doing the down from a sit dakota will down on someone elses command. Not always, but on occassion. Usually when the command is issued at a high volume. I normally issue a verbal correction and return her to the sit. Should I be giving her a leash correction too?

We also have traded dogs and issue commands to the dog that we have at the moment. Dakota does good and does not down on my command but follows the command from the person holding the leash. I don't have a problem with this but do not like that she downs when I have the leash and someone else issues the command to their dog. I'd love suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Crowned Member

Hmmm...when the instructor is going around the room can you do "push up's" up-downs, focus-"watch me", sit-walk around her, etc. Do you have to stay still? That way she's not given the opprotunity to react to anothers command.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Yes, I have done hand signal push ups to keep her occupied. Mine is not the only dog that does this either. She does not comply with another handles hand signal, even if she is sitting right beside the other dog. Just the down from a sit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page