Need help with my dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Need help with my dog

Hi everybody,
I just got my female German Shepherd on Tuesday from Craigslist the "owner" said he didn't have time for her anymore Today I decided to take her to the park since it was late and there's not too many people. She does fine in walks but I noticed a problem when a guy who was jogging passes by and tried to pet her and she kind of snapped at him. Luckily I pulled on her leash and nothing bad happened. How can I socialize her, and be people friendly? She did fine when my friends came over to visit yesterday. Should I stop taking her to the park, please help. I should also add, she's not trained at all. I just ordered a book on dog training, so I hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 01:09 AM
Elite Member

First off, don't panic! I would say that it is too early to make any assessments as to her overall temperament. You need to spend the next several weeks focusing on building your bond with her and helping her feel safe and secure in her new home. As far as the park goes, it is not that you can't go to the park, but go there with a plan of making sure it is a positive experience... reward for good behavior, do not allow strangers to approach, etc.... treat it is as a training exercise and always leave on a good note.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 02:04 AM
Crowned Member

You just got her in tuesday!! She's in a new home with new people and you're overloading her with trips to the park? I'd be snappy at people too. Until she is comfortable and you know how she is (while YOU are calm and not nervous of how she may or may not react), dont let anyone get too close to her and dont try to rush her with adjusting to the massive life changing event (new home, new people). A dog in a new environment/ home can take up to 6 months to adjust to the new life. You dont want to expect too much from her even just in the first two weeks. I think her snapping at the jogger may have very well been because she's overwhelmed with all the changes. Give her time and remember its your job to protect her. Let her know that she doesnt need to take the situation into her paws. When you see someone walking or jogging, YOU pull off to the side, put her in a side next to you and wait for the walker or jogger to pass and then go about your business. Dont make a big deal out of it so she shouldnt make a big deal out of it.

Do you have any of her history such as training? General personality? How is she with other animals? How is she with kids?

Give her time to bond with you.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 02:29 AM
Knighted Member

It seriously takes at least two weeks for any dog to adjust to a massive change in environment. New home, new owner, new neighborhood.

This was originally posted by Msvette2 and it's by far some of the best advice that I've ever read here.

Quote:

Please do A TWO WEEK SHUT DOWN. Here is the info. Begin this immediately.

It's basically a "REBOOT" of the dog's system and brain.

"I introduced her to 15 people" " he was a bit leery but seems to like my other 3 dogs"
"she went everywhere with me "
All in the first few days of the new home..... (!!!)

Two weeks later we read
“I think we will have to rehome the new dog" "the new dog barked and nipped at my kid"
"we had a dog fight"

Ok, folks, here it comes; some feel this is extreme, why? I really do not know.
But when bringing in a new dog, post finding, adoption, buying, etc, Give it time to adjust to you
your family and the dogs in the new environment.

TWO WEEKS - "shut down"
For the first two weeks, (sometimes even longer) a dog takes in the new environment, who is the top
persons, dogs, who ARE these people! By pushing a dog too fast and throwing too much at the dog we look like we are not the leaders and the dog can feel it MUST defend itself, as the leader is surely
no one he has met so far!
We coo, coddle, drag the dog to home to home to person to person, and the dog has NO idea who
we are.
As member Maryellen here said, "This is the dating period NOT the honeymoon"
When you first met your "mate”, you were on your best behavior, you were not relaxed enough to be
all of yourself, were you? Just think of the things you do physically once you get to KNOW a person,
you wouldn’t run up to a stranger and hug them and squeeze them!
Imagine, if on the first date, this new person, was all over you touching you and having their friends hug you
and pat you on the head, and jostle your shoulders, then he whisked you off to another stranger’s home and
they did the same thing. Would you think this person normal and SAFE? Wouldn’t you feel invaded and
begin to get a bit snarky yourself? Wouldn’t you think to push these people away for obviously your date
is out of their mind and they aren’t going to save you from these weirdos!!
Yet we do this to our dogs, and then get upset or worried that they aren’t relaxed and accepting of EVERYTHING
instantly!

By shutting down the dog, it gives the dog TIME to see you, meet YOU, hear and take in the new sounds
and smells of your home.
I crate the dog in a room by itself if possible.(Believe me, dogs are sensory animals, they know more than you think without seeing it).
I take it out on a leash (so I don’t have to correct it ..I don’t have that right yet!), I give it exercise time in the yard,
I do no training at all, just fun exercise and maybe throw some toys for fun, leash the dog if you don’t have a fence outside. But I DO NOT leave my yard, AT ALL.
No car rides, no other dogs, (unless crated beside them), no pet stores, no WALKS even, nothing but me, my home, my yard. (Unless of course the dog needs to go to the veterinarian)
Believe me dogs can live two weeks without walks. Walks are stressful for there is so much coming at you! And the new person you have no clue who they are yet. The dog may react to something and we start correcting it with the leash and we just installed a VERY STRESSFUL moment to the dog!
TEACH the dog by doing the shut down, that YOU are the one to look to, that you are now here for the dog! He can
trust in you and look to you as its new leader!!
In the house I have the dog out only for about 20 minutes post exercise/yard times.
And, ALWAYS on a leash.
Then PUT THE DOG AWAY. Let it absorb and think.
I do not introduce the dogs for these two weeks, they can be side by side in the crates, (not nose to nose for they can feel defensive) . Some dogs will bond instantly with the other dogs if we don’t bond FIRST with the dog, and this can lead to some other issues, as the dog will look to the other dog(s) for guidance and not YOU!

Literally in two weeks you will see a change in the dog and begin to see its honest and true personality.
Just like a house guest...they are well behaved and literally shut down themselves these first few weeks, then
post this time, they relax and the true personality begins to shine thru!

So, please, if nothing else for your new dog, give it the time to LEARN YOU as you are learning who they are!
This method works on shy dogs, confident dogs, abuse cases, chained dogs that come in, rowdy dogs, all temperaments!

(From PBF’s “luvnfstuff”, revised for spelling errors)

Gunny GSD & Zoey the Weasel
Sean M. Walsh K-9 Memorial Fund
our goal is to help police agencies establish and maintain a canine team in memory of Sean
Sean's Dogs.com
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSasha View Post
Hi everybody,
I just got my female German Shepherd on Tuesday from Craigslist the "owner" said he didn't have time for her anymore Today I decided to take her to the park since it was late and there's not too many people. She does fine in walks but I noticed a problem when a guy who was jogging passes by and tried to pet her and she kind of snapped at him. Luckily I pulled on her leash and nothing bad happened. How can I socialize her, and be people friendly? She did fine when my friends came over to visit yesterday. Should I stop taking her to the park, please help. I should also add, she's not trained at all. I just ordered a book on dog training, so I hope that helps.
Dont rush your dog example i took gypsy to Cherokee camping she'd been out and about before but an eight hour drive sleeping in her crate in a tent and being around tons of people she dident know maxed her out. when we took her walking in cherokee around the fake bears she freeked out. back at the camp ground she lunged and nearly pulled me down as soon as we got out of the car i just gave her, her head and let lead me where ever she wanted to go it took over an hour walking but she finally calmed down. Dogs get overwelmed too try to start looking at situations from their point of view.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriej View Post
it seriously takes at least two weeks for any dog to adjust to a massive change in environment. New home, new owner, new neighborhood.

This was originally posted by msvette2 and it's by far some of the best advice that i've ever read here.
yesssss
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Crowned Member

I got my female shepherd from craigslist also....they said she "needed more room." She was very confused, not potty trained, had an ear infection and worms. After clearing all medical issues, which took a month, we are still working on potty training, but she is turning into a wonderful dog. She is 5.5 months and in her second obedience class and does wonderful. I'm surprised someone approached you with her in the park..They stay clear of me and mine and she is quite approachable--except for the jumping which we are still working on How old is she?

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for the great advice I will keep her at home for those two weeks or until she looks adjusted.
So far she has been calm with me she has even joined me on the couch if that means anything.
I was told she was very calm, good with children other dogs and cats, up to date with shots, and potty trained other then that no training. She will be 3 on April.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 01:32 AM
Knighted Member

I would suggest to crate train her if she isn't all ready. Sounds like they didn't do much with her.
Crate training when done properly, gives your dog a "safe place" where it feels secure and comfortable say if a cable guy comes over or rambunctious relations.

NEVER use the crate for "punishment" or a correction.
NEVER use her name with a negative. EX: "FLUFFY NO!"
Those are just some of the things that I've learned over the years,
work on NILF (nothing in life is free)....I probably wouldn't let her sit with you on the couch just yet. Let her learn the house and your boundaries, then do an invite on the couch first.
*shrugs* but that's just me.

Good luck and we are looking foward to pictures!

Gunny GSD & Zoey the Weasel
Sean M. Walsh K-9 Memorial Fund
our goal is to help police agencies establish and maintain a canine team in memory of Sean
Sean's Dogs.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page