Having two alternating handlers for training course: Good or bad? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Rua
Master Member

Having two alternating handlers for training course: Good or bad?

Juno will be starting her obedience course next Wednesday. She's already completed Puppy Socialization with a different company, but I've chosen to continue her obedience training with a much more experienced local trainer.

My husband and I have two kids. We all attended the puppy socialization course as a family. However the new trainers insurance won't cover children on the premise, so they can't come. So one of us will have to stay behind with the kids while the other goes to class with Juno.

Since I'm a stay at home mum, I'm with Juno all the time. By default (and at this stage, preference!), I have become her primary handler. However, my husband understandably would very much like to be more involved with her training.

So here's my question: Is it too confusing for the dog to alternate between two handlers every other week for their training class? (ie: Me and my husband take turns taking Juno to class every week.)
Does it slow down the training process?

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Banned

The only thing you would need to make sure is that you and your husband are synced up on each week's lesson. Usually places don't like the switching because if they are building off of last week's lesson the other handler doesn't know what's going on. If you could come and watch it could be different but I see a high chance that both of you will be making the same mistakes in alternating weeks. Most of training is really to train the handler on how to make the dog do things, and then correct the handler when he/she isn't doing it right.

I would suggest alternating sessions. So your husband does 6 weeks, and you re do the same class the following 6 weeks. That's how our club generally does it, unless you train 2 days a week in which case each handler can train on separate day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page