The importance of crate time...Please explain to my family. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

The importance of crate time...Please explain to my family.

My wife and children are beginning to irk me. I've put endless hours into training and stabilizing my 7 month old Kira, and everyone else in my household, is basically doing anything they please with Kira.

When I'm home, I teach Kira house manners. This is everything from not jumping on guests, not chewing anything she's not allowed to chew, and taking some crate timeouts to keep her calm when indoors.

Here's the problem:

After I leave for work, Kira is out of her crate all day. (wife is home) By the time I get home, she's like wild animal. My wife lets her run rampant thoughout the house.

When they walk out the door, they let her pull them out the door.
They play rough with her, and allow her the bite their arms and hands.
When they walk with her, I found out that "she pulls a little". I ask if they corrected her, they said no. I asked why, they shrugged their shoulders and said that it didn't bother THEM.

If I tell them to randomly crate her throughout the day, they don't do it.

I was wondering why Kira starting "acting up" when I crated her the last few times.

PLEASE EXPLAIN TO MY FAMILY, THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING CONSISTANT WITH MY TRAINING, HOUSE MANNERS, AND LEASH WALKING!

When all is said and done, I intend to print this out and give it to them to read.

However, if I'm wrong, and being a bit over the top, I'll take it.

So bring it on!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Knighted Member

I understand your frustration but you really can't control others.

You do have reason to be concerned about some of those issue,especially the rough housing.

Do you have a trainer? If you do I would have them explain it to your family.
Often people will listen to some outside (authority) rather than dad/husband. A trainer can explain the reasons behind your training.

Having said that, these dogs are smart. When I take Jack for a walk he heels where I want him to with head at my leg. I'm not talking formal heel. When my wife walks him she prefers him a little forward and that's where he walks. When my adult son walks him, he walks in front but loose leash and understands that is where my son wants him.

The point being that as long as the dog behaves for the family even if there are some differences that to me is what counts.

Different story for sport, or competition dogs.

Last edited by Jack's Dad; 02-09-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: SP
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Crowned Member

Good Luck. Our solution was to get our own dogs. You do what you want with your dog and I'll train mine so she's not an annoying mess.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Banned

I don't quite know if there is a reason for crate time if you're at home. She should like her crate and be fine going in it, but she shouldn't need the crate as a time out or calm down time (in my opinion). I can rough house with my dog, and he knows that he is only allowed to "bite" MY arms, he doesn't do it with anyone else. But all I have to do is say one word and he calms down or we play something else. I can go from playing to training in a second and he knows it.

If its that important to you that she acts the same with all family members you need to get the whole group involved in formal training with her. My dog definately listens to me much better than to my girlfriend, but will still obey her (just not as quickly). Its also not as important to her if he doesn't listen as fast, where as to me its very important he does what I say as soon as I say it (I'm his handler in the ring).

They quickly figure out what they can and can't get away with depending on the people that are around them, and usually even test the new people that come to see their so called threshold. Also at 7 months old, she's going to still be a little crazy and no amount of training is going to help that until she matures a bit more and isn't as playful. I guess my post doesn't have that much real advice, just that I wouldn't worry about it as much as you do. If it is that important to you then I suggest getting a trainer to tell them, or involving them in the training on a weekly basis. Maybe when they see how fun it is to have a well trained dog they will understand and start helping you with it.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Master Member

I don't think you need to do a random crate test everyday. lol. IMHO, I think your consistency is too strict but hey, I don't know your dog or your routines so don't hold it against me.

For the biting of the arms or hands, I wrestle with my dog all the time so it wouldn't be fair if I didn't allow her to atleast be able to fight back. As long as she's aware of the amount of pressure used in the bite, which is more like mouthing, I'm fine with it. Again, your way of training your dog is different from how I want mine.

My wife doesn't really get the routine either so I'm the one who trains and exercises with our GSD the most. What can you do... lol. A happy wife is a happy home.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Crowned Member

It is difficult when the whole family is not on the same page with regard to training the puppy. Frustrating. You do all this work, which is then undone the moment you leave the house!

However, I don't know how you will be able to enforce this when you are gone. If the wife isn't respecting your wishes, the kids won't either, of course. I think this is a marital issue rather than a dog training issue, but many people don't understand why we take our dogs so seriously.

A GSD is a big, powerful dog that has the capacity to do real damage if not controlled. I'm not even talking about biting. Bolting through doors can get a dog killed. Jumping on people and mouthing them can you get sued. A GSD that doesn't listen and respect ALL the humans in the household is a liability. If you can somehow get the family to understand this, they may get the reasoning behind all your rules and boundaries with the dog.

I'm a bit of a control freak as well. There are times for a dog to be a dog, and there are times where the dog needs to learn self-control. If your family wants an unruly GSD that doesn't listen or respect them, I'd say, get another family. But that's just me, I don't have kids, and this is one of the very reasons!
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
How old is Kira?

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
It is difficult when the whole family is not on the same page with regard to training the puppy. Frustrating. You do all this work, which is then undone the moment you leave the house!

However, I don't know how you will be able to enforce this when you are gone. If the wife isn't respecting your wishes, the kids won't either, of course. I think this is a marital issue rather than a dog training issue, but many people don't understand why we take our dogs so seriously.

A GSD is a big, powerful dog that has the capacity to do real damage if not controlled. I'm not even talking about biting. Bolting through doors can get a dog killed. Jumping on people and mouthing them can you get sued. A GSD that doesn't listen and respect ALL the humans in the household is a liability. If you can somehow get the family to understand this, they may get the reasoning behind all your rules and boundaries with the dog.

I'm a bit of a control freak as well. There are times for a dog to be a dog, and there are times where the dog needs to learn self-control. If your family wants an unruly GSD that doesn't listen or respect them, I'd say, get another family. But that's just me, I don't have kids, and this is one of the very reasons!
I am SO GLAD you understand this. This is precisely what I'm concerned about.

I spend every chance I get, including Friday evening training sessions with a trainer at obedience school. Needless to say, my dog is becoming an amazing dog. However, none of my efforts seem to matter to anyone else but me. My family doesn't care if she pulls. Doesn't care if she jumps up on them or anyone else for that matter. laughs if she chews someone's shoe, etc...
Just the other day, my 7 yr old cried when Kira playfully bit her too hard. I questioned this to my 17 yr old (who happened to be in the room), and she told me that mom and her always play rough with her, when I'm not home. Well, as it turned out, Kira took that type of play to my 7 year old.

I've spent endless amount of time teaching her bite inhibition, only to be undone by the rest of my family.

I may be far from an expert on proper training, but I do know that giving a GSD an arm, they will take a leg. They know how to try to get away with whatever they can.

I witnessed something I'll never forget. My breeder (who also trains), had his pack running wild while I was there. In a SINGLE command, every one of his dogs stopped what they were doing, and dropped. They all heard his command, turned his way, dropped and just waited.
Total respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
How old is Kira?
Kira is 7 months
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 02:30 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
Just the other day, my 7 yr old cried when Kira playfully bit her too hard. I questioned this to my 17 yr old (who happened to be in the room), and she told me that mom and her always play rough with her, when I'm not home. Well, as it turned out, Kira took that type of play to my 7 year old.
If THAT incident didn't get through to your wife that things need to change, I don't know what would. Good luck, it sounds like you're going to need it!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
My family doesn't care if she pulls. Doesn't care if she jumps up on them or anyone else for that matter. laughs if she chews someone's shoe, etc...
See, that would drive me CRAZY, and if I had a family doing that, I'd be furious. Maybe your wife and kids don't mind pulling, jumping, chewing shoes, roughhousing, etc. But what if your 7 year old's friends come to visit and THEY get "playfully" bitten? Especially if she happens to break the skin? That kid's parents may not like it, and you could in fact get into some hot water over it. Pretty soon no one will want to come to your house because there is this crazy GSD that no one but you can control. It would irk me to no end to know that, while I'm out making money to support my family, said family is busy undoing all the hard work I've put in AFTER my regular work.

Are you attending puppy classes right now? Have the family come with you, and have the trainer explain why manners are so important for a big dog, and the fact that everyone needs to be on board. Insist that the family attend the obedience classes with you so that they can understand the seriousness and importance of consistency in training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page