Training Hints - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Training Hints

During my run with Sophie today I was thinking about how good she was in staying right next to me without pulling or trying to veer off here and there. I remember times when it was impossible to run with her. So I reflected on all the things I have learned here on this board simply by reading the various posts and searching out training topics, etc. Then it dawned on me..what if we could have a simple reference sheet with training hints where people who are looking for quick answers could go to if they needed to. This does by no means replace thorough research on many training topics because nothing is a quick fix but I think it would help people get into the right direction.

We each can contribute and share in one or two sentences key training tips on this thread. I start

1. Yelling at your dog will not achieve anything. Stay calm, step back and re-evaluate the situation with a clear mind so you can take level-headed action.

2. When returning from errands do not greet your dogs with over excitement but stay calm, put down the purse and keys, grocery bags, etc and then greet them calmly as if you had been there all along.

Your turn...

L'chaim
Elvi

Lexie (Rotti-x), Max (GSD/Husky), Sophie (WGSD)
R.I.P. Ozzy, Sabrie, Kaiser (GSDs), Peaches (Cat)

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." - Maria Robinson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:07 PM

Always be patient. If you find yourself getting upset, angry, or agitated take a moment step back calm down and try again. I've found that training is actually a lot of fun and more of a hobby than anything. I look forward to seeing what everyone else has to say.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:12 PM
Crowned Member

If your dog isn't learning and happy, evaluate your methods.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:25 PM

To always carry treats around so you can reward any good behavior when it's offered, not only when asked for. Like when he walked by a group of school kids today without so much as a whine or lunging to go meet and play.

Munich (Doc Vom Mittelwest)-9 mth old Black and Red GSD pup, the one i've wanted for 18 yrs.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Panting is not always a sign of being warm or being exhausted. It could also be a sign of your dog stressing.

L'chaim
Elvi

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." - Maria Robinson
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:33 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Set your dog up to succeed. Manage situations so that your dog is "good" and does what you want, then you can reward and praise, and build positive associations with the action and behaviour you are trying to shape. Much better option than not giving the dog direction, waiting for the dog to be bad, and then punishing/correcting.

The first builds a thinking dog that tries to figure out the right thing to do to get your approval/reward.

The second chips away at the dog's confidence because random actions get punishment/correction. Not fair to the dog, and makes the dog fearful to try new things due to fear of doing the 'wrong' thing, when they don't even know what the wrong thing is.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

If you have multiple dogs, try to use separate food bowls for each of them. This way you avoid competition which can potentially end up in resource guarding issues.

L'chaim
Elvi

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Constant licking their lips could be the dog trying to calm himself down. Find the source of stress and do what you can to create an environment where the dog can calm down.

L'chaim
Elvi

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Nobody else? I KNOW there are soooo many things anyone of us has picked up while taking care of our dogs throughout the years. You may not think it is significant, but to someone else, this may be a life saver. Here is another one I learned.

It is not a good idea to encourage your dog to fence run with another dog on the other side, especially if that dog is aggressive. This can potentially encourage dog aggression in your dog.

L'chaim
Elvi

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Crowned Member

Clarity and consistency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page