LouCastle vs Leerburg Method for Remote Collars? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Question LouCastle vs Leerburg Method for Remote Collars?

Hi,

After some research, i think my dog needs some remote collar training as he's getting a little stubborn and very testy... I did not want to jump into it without training myself, so I got myself the Leerburg training video... sounds good and i think i understand it well... I still havent started the training yet, just putting it on and off the dog so he gets use to the collar.

But recently I have some people here recommend LouCastle - who has a very different technique then Leerburg. I actually think Leerburg's method is better and makes more sense.... but would like some expert advice.

I appreciate all feedback!

Ice - 06/02/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Crowned Member

I'm familiar with Leerburgs, and have read, reread, and triple read Lou's... and spoken to Lou extensively on the phone. I used Lou's methods and it worked perfectly.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Crowned Member

When I bought my first e-collars years ago I turned to Lou, he was extremely helpful and it worked out great!

Have never read/watched the Leerburg Method.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:01 PM

I like Lou Castle's technique it teaches the dog how to turn the collar off at a super low level stim. Key part here is that it teaches the dog how to deal with the stress of the stim until the dog is successful. I just think this is so much more clear to the dog than the leerburg method.

From my understanding the Leerburg method is to use it as a correction say "no" or whatever your marker is first then stim. I might be wrong I only looked into his method so far and new I didn't like it.

But there is a huge thread debating these exact two methods I will try to find it.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:05 PM

I think this is the debate I was thinking of....

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-e-collar.html
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

yep, basically from my understanding, in Leerburg's method, you give a command, if dog doesn't comply, he gets a stim. in lou's method, he gets a stim and a command at the same time, and stim stops when dog complies.

in human prespective.... someone keeps slapping u until u comply, OR you get slapped if you dont comply... personally I like the later better, but i'm not sure if dogs feel the same way.

Ice - 06/02/2010
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Also, just to add in the fact, he def. knows the commands, but he likes to challenge them.

Ice - 06/02/2010
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:31 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

My understanding is the stim level is much higher in the Leerburg method but I could be wrong. Lou uses VERY low stim ... enough for an ear twitch or a skin wrinkle...I stimmed my self at that level and it was mildly tingly.

I have not done much ecollar training but I did use Lou's protocols for crittering and it worked beautifully.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
My understanding is the stim level is much higher in the Leerburg method but I could be wrong. Lou uses VERY low stim ... enough for an ear twitch or a skin wrinkle...I stimmed my self at that level and it was mildly tingly.

I have not done much ecollar training but I did use Lou's protocols for crittering and it worked beautifully.
Agreed, i did feel the same, therefore i was going to go with Leerburg's method but with a lower stim than he suggest.

Ice - 06/02/2010
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am not sure it will have the desired effect based on how Leerburgs method is described as a correction....

I will say that I went with Lou's method after I had a female intense on chasing chickens. The rooster we pulled out of her bloody spurred mouth did not deter her nor did the goat she chased through an electric cattle fence...goat went over, she went through and you could actually see her whole body twitch and then the chase resumed. We tried on our own to correct her with high stim while she was in drive. Later I learned that could REALLY backfire. Fortunately, she did not even notice the correction other than a quick yelp and resumed chasing.

Lou's crittering protocol worked wonders for us in just a few sessions....timing was the critical factor as the dog was not engaged in misbehaving but starting the behavior change...I was not part of the picture and she would self-correct later, even without the collar....It helped me fine tune reading the predatory sequence too.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page