Question on crating after training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Question on crating after training

In different threads I have seen mention of crating after training. I can't refer to specific threads, just something that caught my attention, so now instead of wondering I am asking

What is the purpose of the crating after training and is it after specific types of training? What would be the indications that the crating is achieving the results you want?

The reason I ask is we are really seeing progress with Woolf since we began with his new trainer, and if this is a tool I can add to the mix with what we do, I will. Anything to help move this boy along ya know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 01:31 PM
dOg
Elite Member

It's a block of quiet time after a lesson. This gives them time to absorb whatever it was without distraction. Like percolating coffee longer for a stronger taste. Make sense? The thought is, we just taught them something, let them pause and reflect on what it was. While results are somewhat subjective, handlers who've been handling a long time make use of this tool because experience has led them to believe it's worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dOg; 01-26-2012 at 01:36 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think it can hurt (assuming the dog is getting plenty of exercise and training). Mine are often crated following training by default because we're at Schutzhund, flyball, or some other form of training where dogs take turns, and then I inevitably have to drive a long distance home. When I train at home I don't always crate after training sessions, but I do leave the dogs alone and they typically nap or chew on something for a while. However, I often train two dogs at home and take two turns each, so they are being crated after their first turn while waiting for the second turn and whichever dog goes first ends up being crated after his second turn for as long as it takes the second dog to finish his last turn, if that makes sense! If I put them both in crates after both turns it's typically because *I* need a time out to decompress! Lately though I've been doing my working out (running 30-50 minutes on my elliptical) and then I do dog training as my cool down, and then while I shower the dogs are either crated, let outside, or just lie around the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Crowned Member

Whatever thought you take with you and then go sit in a quiet, distraction free room, you will think on for a bit. Additionally, in a sport like schutzhund, some dogs can be a little nutty and potentially dangerous for a few minutes while they are still hot and in "the zone" after protection work... so their tolerance of a stranger or another dog may be temporarily much lower

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Crowned Member

I think it is important after a tracking session(especially if the dog is learning or if it was a challenge) Tracking is so mental, that it wears out a dog, so that down-time is needed so they can process, decompress before going on to the next thing, usually obedience!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Thank all of you for the replies. This does look like something that would benefit Woolf, so it will be added to the arsenal of tools.

And as one said, it will allow time for me to decompress as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page