ways to tire out without physical exhaustion - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

ways to tire out without physical exhaustion

well i took Dia to the vet today and dia may have a slightly/ mildly torn ligiment, (back left knee) well she is on some serious bed rest for a couple weeks. I want to keep her at least entertained. Any ideas to stimulate her without fetch.. like fun things i can teach her trick wise. She knows the basics as well as roll over and sit pretty and which hand is the treat in (she "shakes" the hand she wants)

Any ideas for something new? It would be greatly appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mar 19, 2011

Prince vom Gildaf "Charles" August 16, 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Banned

you can do reinforcement training indoors.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
you can do reinforcement training indoors.
what do you mean by that?

, Mar 19, 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Banned

Canine push-ups. Sit, down, sit, down.
Play "Find It" with treats.
Teach new tricks: Shake, Roll over, Bang, you're dead, etc.
Go to the Pet store and ask for mentally challenging toys/games.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Crowned Member

Targeting can tire them out and they don't have to run around to do it. Lots of info on the internet about it, here's one link.

Dog Obedience Training through Targeting - Whole Dog Journal Article
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
Targeting can tire them out and they don't have to run around to do it. Lots of info on the internet about it, here's one link.

Dog Obedience Training through Targeting - Whole Dog Journal Article
Great link.. Thanks a lot i will have to work on that.. and maybe get her to close doors and such

, Mar 19, 2011

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
Canine push-ups. Sit, down, sit, down.

Teach new tricks: Shake, Roll over, Bang, you're dead, etc.

noooooo....not with a torn ligament!! Nothing that will stress the back knee in any way!

We are just now rehabbing Jax's knee (hurt in Sept) after moving to fast with it instead of taking it easy and the things listed above are part of the rehab. You don't want her to do anything that will 'work' the knee. And you want to let her rest for longer than two weeks.

Try some nose work.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
noooooo....not with a torn ligament!! Nothing that will stress the back knee in any way!

We are just now rehabbing Jax's knee (hurt in Sept) after moving to fast with it instead of taking it easy and the things listed above are part of the rehab. You don't want her to do anything that will 'work' the knee. And you want to let her rest for longer than two weeks.

Try some nose work.
I have heard about nose work. Not quite sure if she would be interested unless there is a hidden treat involved. :P i tried doing the old fashioned hiding game (3 cups treat under 1 and move them around) she had no interest in it so im at a loss for the most part..

(and about the rest, the vet said 3 weeks as a starter... its going to kill her i know it. which is why i am trying to be somewhat proactive in doing other things.

, Mar 19, 2011

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Elite Member

any new tricks to work that mind works great! I taught Jinx to open and shut cabinets super quick and it definitely worked the mind. Start out by teaching her "touch" (I just held my hand out and when her nose sniffed it and touched by hand I marked it said good touch and rewarded her she got it super quick. Then I wouldn't reward until she made good contact (not just a quick barely touch me contact) then we moved to a drawer I rubbed the treat on the knob then when she sniffed it marked and rewarded then as time goes on made her touch it harder and move the drawer some before she got rewarded if she pushed hard enough and it made the drawer shut she got HUGE praise and a bunch of treats. Short sessions frequently and it worked the mind then I changed it to other cabinets and drawers, closet doors, dishwasher etc..

Jinx vom Wildhaus
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post

Try some nose work.
How does Shake, Roll over and Bang you're dead stress the hind leg?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page