Has Anyone cured "Dog Reactivity" with LAT/CU? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Has Anyone cured "Dog Reactivity" with LAT/CU?

I am posting a variation of a question posed in 2009 at to whether anyone has been able to turn around their 'dog reactive' dog. It is now 2012 and there have been some new training techniques on the scene since then, like Leslie McDevitt's CU training methods. I have been training with a police dog trainer who favors a sit/stay on walks and turning Ben away from the window in a sit or down/stay when he reacts at the windows.
I must say that Ben did a whole lot better with the LAT at the window and on some outdoor walks. His threshold is maxed at about 25 yards so it is going to take a lot of time with LAT but the K-9 trainer has agreed to use his dogs as "triggers" at a distance under threshold to build Ben up to a shorter distance over time. He says whatever works is what is best for the dog. I have also been in touch with Leslie McDevitt and she is offering me pointers.
So- the question is- has anyone had success with CU/LAT methods or problems with it? I would like to hear what is working for these dogs in your experiences.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Crowned Member

Cured? No. Progress - most definitely!

I had great results when I added an e-collar to it to stop her when she was in the middle of a reactive frenzy (which at OUR point was a learned behavior not a fear reaction any longer)

Unfortunately, work overtook my life for a while so we'll be starting all over again.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Crowned Member

I took Onyx to a CU class and it helped with managing her reactivity. She still has to be managed, but is much better.
Our class was 8 weeks(1st one without the dog) and there were 6 dogs. One dog was excused from the class and told to get with a private trainer(too reactive for that class!)
By the end of the 8 weeks, only one dog was still acting like a fool. His handler wasn't helping.
I think reactivity can be lessened, but not totally "cured".
I've not had one problem from the exercises in the CU book, only positives! But it is really up to the handler to be consistent with everything or it is useless.
After we went thru the CU class I took Onyx to an agility class. She was very well behaved, but I totally didn't trust her~Aussies/borders/shelties get her going and of course the class was mostly those breeds. But she never lunged or tried to get after one. So I really think the CU methods worked for us.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Knighted Member

I believe I've had some success with LAT. At the same time I was using this I was also going to a behavioust and working with other methods as well. Our probelm was she went through a reactive stage at about 14-18 months towards some dogs who were "too close" for her comfort level. or were behaving in an unacceptable manner based on her standards. We went to dog parks and worked from the back of my SUV and outside the gates, getting closer and closer to the fence, while treating for a calm state. This worked too.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowersGSD View Post
So- the question is- has anyone had success with CU/LAT methods or problems with it? I would like to hear what is working for these dogs in your experiences.
thanks
I had great success with LAT and a dog reactive foster. He went from exploding any time he saw a dog (or dogs) to being able to be walked through a crowd and in a class of about 10 dogs with no reaction; he was even used as the friendly test dog for CGC one day. At the time he was adopted, he would still react to passing a dog in our own neighborhood on a walk but was much better. I find that stopping is much worse than if you keep moving and try to keep their attention on you.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the responses. for some reason I have some reservations about CU-not because it doesnt have solid science behind it-it does - just look at McDevitt's credentials...but some of the more shall we say 'old school' trainers (and even my vet ) talk down about positive training like this-so it isnt as respected *possibly*. I just want to do what will work for Ben and I dont want to waste time or possibly entrench bad behaviors by not choosing the right method. My gut tells me to do LAT/CU. does anyone know of any classes in Maryland?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Crowned Member

That is really a shame that these old school trainers trash positive training. I know exactly what you are talking about! I can't even discuss dog training with one of my friends because she is old school. I am not a 100% positive trainer. I feel there is a time and a place for a correction however....

You have a choice...you can force your dog to do something through compulsion and possibly make his reactiveness worse (Been there!!! Done that!!!) Or you can reward for a good response, build confidence, build your relationship with your dog and motivate your dog to want to do something.

Not really much of a choice, is it?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

True dat!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Cured? No. Progress - most definitely!
This explains my experience, too. I don't think anything would "cure" Tanner's reactivity, but CU helped so much. Worth the effort.
Sheilah
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
That is really a shame that these old school trainers trash positive training. I know exactly what you are talking about! I can't even discuss dog training with one of my friends because she is old school. I am not a 100% positive trainer. I feel there is a time and a place for a correction however....

You have a choice...you can force your dog to do something through compulsion and possibly make his reactiveness worse (Been there!!! Done that!!!) Or you can reward for a good response, build confidence, build your relationship with your dog and motivate your dog to want to do something.

Not really much of a choice, is it?

Very true generally but I do admit to using a "firm" correction on occassion when my now much better dog would explode on an occassional dog we would meet. Seemed to work in the immediate time frame and situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page