The Wolf Pack Method? Anyone? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

The Wolf Pack Method? Anyone?

So we've been talking to several different behaviorists to try and help work on some of Sasha's reactivity issues. Honestly, I just need an ally and some support to make our household work with Sasha in it . I feel a little silly but I want to find someone to help me feel more confident handling her.

But... one of the trainers that we initially liked (met with her for about 10 minutes), had some good on paper experience (currently trains her dogs in Schutzhund, has experience with Shepherds), uses what she called "The wolf pack method." I tried to do some research on it but couldn't find anything! We have a more formal consultation with her on Sunday but I really wanted to go in with a little more info than nothing...

Has anyone heard of this training method?? Any opinions or input??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 AM
Banned

here is one possible thing i found on the web (Google search for "wolf pack dog traing method")

Wolf Pack Dog Training - Wolf Den
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thats about all I found too but it doesn't really explain anything. I think that's what they named their business. Ugh... I guess I may have to wait till Sunday to pick her brain...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 01:06 AM
Crowned Member

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I'm not sure... She really didn't give us any extra information on what exactly her method meant. For all I know, it's totally old-school behavior modification with a different name. I'm anxious to find out more about it but am a little nervous that it won't be what I'm comfortable with. We've looked up other behaviorists and have either been told they can't help us or there's no way we can afford their huge price tag.

I've looked up some of the "Colorado trainer" threads on here and looked up the recommended trainers but they all want somewhere between $500-$800 for a certain time commitment. Not that it's not worth it but we're having to juggle her behavioral issues and her health issues and financially we can't do it all. Is that the typical price range for good behaviorists?? Or does anyone have any more reasonable but still good recommendations in Colorado?? Even someone who could work with us on payment plans or something like that?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Knighted Member

Have you read about B.A.T. Behavioral Adjustment Training? http://functionalrewards.com/BAT-basics.pdf Of course with serious issues nothing replaces a good trainer, but until you find one there are lots of exercises you can do yourself. I have had to deal with reactivity issues with my 2 older dogs from a lack of socialization. I have read Jan Fennells book, it is deffinately a good read. There are a lot of other good books.
The only one that can really build confidence in yourself is you. Believe in yourself.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Can't comment on CO but in GA most advertise that way. We went through 2 trainers/behaviorist that charged for a set time, not a lot was accomplished. We are on the 3rd, and I wish we had found her at the beginning. She goes by a flat hourly fee for sessions and all the email and phone support I could hope for. We are moving forward, instead of training symptomatically, we have gotten to the root of it and training up from there (does that make sense?)

I can also say it isn't inexpensive, but considering the alternative.... we just have to work with it.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Banned

There's a lot of good information here- Can We Help You Keep Your Pet? Other Animals
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
Have you read about B.A.T. Behavioral Adjustment Training? http://functionalrewards.com/BAT-basics.pdf Of course with serious issues nothing replaces a good trainer, but until you find one there are lots of exercises you can do yourself. I have had to deal with reactivity issues with my 2 older dogs from a lack of socialization. I have read Jan Fennells book, it is deffinately a good read. There are a lot of other good books.
The only one that can really build confidence in yourself is you. Believe in yourself.
Thank you! We have been doing some semblance of BAT and while it's working somewhat, we haven't been able to invest the time I know she needs from us. Hopefully it will get better once our life settles down a bit and we get on a schedule within the next 2 weeks or so. I will take a look at the book as well! I'm always up for another book I've been reading Patricia McConnell's books again but would love a little more specific help with what we're dealing with. Thank you for the suggestion!
Twyla: That's what we're looking for too. I know how to manage the symptoms but I really want to be able to get to the root of what's going on in her behaviors. I feel like we're basically just having to clean up the issues and I really want to be able to work with Sasha on how to prevent the issues.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

So we went and met with this lady today and while I wasn't completely blown away by her knowledge and ability, I figured we'd give her another try and have an actual lesson next Sunday. Hopefully it goes well and we get some new information. Her main "tips" that she wants to help us work on were...

(1) Establishing tighter rules in our house, and essentially establishing more "dominance" between us and the dogs, Sasha in particular since she seems to be the cause of most of the problems. This terminology worried me a bit but we'll play it out one more week.
(2) Always work the two girls together. Walk them together, etc. and then crate them when we can't focus 100% on them. If they are out together in the house, Sasha will be muzzled. Her theory is that even if she attacks Scarlett with the muzzle on, she'll learn that biting doesn't get her anywhere and stop the attack. This was kind of a red flag for me as I've never heard that reasoning in all my years of training. Does this ring true for anyone else??
(3) Quickly correct and redirect when Sasha spazes out on people or dogs. This also was a bit off in my mind because I really believe her barking at people is totally fear based and I wasn't sure you were supposed to correct (with a pop on the prong) a fear response? Again, I'm not really an expert so I'm gonna stick with it for at least one more session.

Any thoughts? Sound decent or should we stay away? I'm on the fence right now which is why I thought one more week couldn't hurt. We'll be there the whole time and I have no problem speaking up if I don't agree with something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page