Starting Class, but have a question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Starting Class, but have a question

Sasha and I are starting beginner obedience this upcoming Thursday and I am very, very excited! I just received a conformation e-mail today and in the e-mail they gave us various instructions, one in particular was about collars. They said to bring "whatever collar you feel comfortable using with your dog (we'll suggest changes if necessary)"

Here's my dilemma. Sasha gets really excited when she sees other dogs. She really wants to be friends and have a giant play session with every dog she sees (with the exception of big dogs that try to start trouble with her). So I was thinking, in addition to heavily exercising the hour before class and possibly earlier in the day as well, that I would put her prong collar on her to help keep her in check a little easier. However, I feel that given that they say they will suggest changes if necessary that perhaps they are the kind of place that isn't too fond of prong collars. I understand that the worse thing they can do is tell me to use something else next time. So I'm wondering if I should go ahead and use the prong this time and if they tell me to use something else then I can do that next time, or if I should just go ahead and use her regular collar (a martingdale since she likes to try and slip her collar). I feel like at this point a flat collar isn't the best for her since she likes to slip out of them if she doesn't like what I'm trying to do.

~Sasha~{GSD}~ 3ish~Gotcha day January, 29, 2011
~Monte~{Golden Retriever}~ (RIP)~ 1997-2009

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Crowned Member

I would bring her on the martingale and have a prong high up on the neck with a tab on it. Use the prong/tab when you need to, but otherwise have the leash on the martingale for use.
As long as you know how to fit/use a prong collar there should be no problem with you using it.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Banned

I'd be more than willing to bet if they were anti-prong, you'd know it and they'd be specific about it. By saying "whatever collar you feel comfortable with," it sounds like anything is ok and they just want to check that whatever collar is being used properly?

We're repeating Obed I (different facility) and starting this Monday so I understand your excitement!!! Woohoo, can't WAIT!!!!!!

Bailey is the same way, doggies, doggies! oh boy, doggies! BUT I found that after the first class, he seemed to realize when we went to class, we were going to "work." I made sure to exercise him as hard as I could prior to class and went to class hungry. That helped too, I think. Sure, he would've loved to go sniff, greet and play, but most of the time we were working on *something* and his focus was on me and earning that treat, so he blocked out the other dogs and barely gave them any attention at all. That actually surprised me in a very pleasant way.

I did end up going with a class that is okay with prongs, but even if I had chosen one that wasn't, I'd still take him in on the prong. Just because of all the people and dogs trying to get in at the same time, etc - I want that control factor. You'll undoubtedly see some owners with their dogs dragging them into the building and you'll be glad you aren't one of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Crowned Member

I'd probably bring my dog in on a prong. Especially since it is the first class and things may or may not be hectic for everyone. But I'd bring the martingale just in case they would rather have you use that. If they were really super "anti-prong" I feel like they would have just flat out said it in the email.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Crowned Member

I'd still have two collars on, one for back up(prongs have been known to come apart).
I sure hope your obedience class instructors are helping the dog to engage with you. Building drive is something I seldom see in obedience class, dogs are so not engaged and bored(thats why they focus on the other dogs and not their handlers) Have fun!!!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks y'all. I'll definitely bring her regular collar just in case.

Her prong is fitted pretty close to correctly. I bought one that is just a touch too big (but if I remove more than I think it was 2 links that I removed then it's too small) for the most part it sets high up on her neck, right below her ears. It's not quite as snug as I would like it though. Sasha is pretty sensitive to it though, so I haven't bought a different one.

Onyx' girl I really hope they do help with that! I have such a hard time keeping her focus when we're outside, and it gets rather frustrating. Most of the commands this class teaches she knows already (with the exception of heel. She's not a good heeler) but I really felt like I needed to do this one to work on focusing better before we move on to anything harder.

~Sasha~{GSD}~ 3ish~Gotcha day January, 29, 2011
~Monte~{Golden Retriever}~ (RIP)~ 1997-2009

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page