GSD questions. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation GSD questions.

Hi everybody, i am a 14 year old who's dad wants a german shepherd, but before I talk about a German Shepherd, let me talk about my situation. My parents were both raised in India, and they lived with a lot of German Shepherds. We currently have a very sweet Shin-Poo (Mix btwn. shih-tzu and poodle) he is 6 months old and weighs less than 10 pounds, he is VERY social and loves to play with any dog and does not bark at any either.
Both my parents work and don't come home until about 5 in the evening. I come home at about 2:30 from school but my grandmother looks after my puppy, Here is the catch, my grandmother is a dialysis patient, so twice a week people come into our house and take her on a stretcher out of the house, I know that german shepherds are very aggressive so i am wondering if there is a way to still get that awesome companion but not that aggressive beast, I plan to get my GSD young and socialize it well so it doesnt attack my puppy, I have a lot of small cousins in the area that visit quite frequently so will a GSD be right for me, my grandmother and most importantly my small puppy?
any feedback is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Banned

In your case I would actually go with an older dog that is around 3-5 years old, already settled, with some decent obedience on the dog.

Depending on how old your grandmother is, a puppy might be too much for her. Go with an already settled dog. There are plenty of rescues out there that can help you to find the perfect match for you and your family.

A puppy needs to be housebroken. Meaning, it needs to go outside every couple of hours. They might chew up shoes, furniture, shred toilette paper, go through trash, they need to be trained in obedience, have zoomies in the house, meaning they run from one end to the house to another. Again, it all depends on how old your granny is but it might be a little too much excitement.

Last edited by Mrs.K; 01-08-2012 at 10:35 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Knighted Member

Of course you can have a GSD without it being aggressive. First step is to find a good breeder- one who titles or works their dogs and carefully selects the parents to produce sound offspring (the parents should also have their hips/elbows certified). You need to figure out what lines of GSD you want, showline, working line. So research the lines and which would best suit your lifestyle, then research breeders that breed those lines.
Second step is when you get your puppy to socialize him/her. Take them everywhere, let them meet lots of people, take them to puppy training classes.
You can train the dog to go to a special place when people come over (like their crate or bed) and then release them to say hello. Or if strange people are coming in and taking your grandma on a stretcher, you may want to just crate him/her for that time.

Good luck!

Edit: I agree with Mrs. K- finding an older dog sounds like it would be a better fit if it's your grandma raising the dog. I foster GSDs and many dogs in rescue are already housebroken and have good manners and are well socialized.
If you and the rest of your family have the time to properly raise, exercise, and train a GSD, then maybe a puppy from a good breeder. But keep in mind, a GSD is going to be a lot more work than a shih-poo.

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

Last edited by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO; 01-08-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Elite Member

agree with Mrs.K for one GSDs aren't "very aggressive" by nature. For your specific situation if you did go with a puppy (which I'd advise against) I would make sure to go with a very very VERY well bred one to make sure it has the nerves to handle the health equipment strangers coming and going and since puppies are such a gamble it would give you the best chance of success the pup grows up stable and has the nerves to handle some of the scary stuff.

However, GSD pups are CRAZY they are super mouthy (wanting to bite everyone and chew everything) and I doubt a dialysis patient would want to deal with a GSD pup heck my girl was lucky she was cute because when you're in the heat of the puppy craziness sometimes I didn't want to deal with it lol. I definitely think a young adult with plenty of life but plenty of maturity under it's belt would be best. One that has been tested around small dogs, kids, and they can even test it with people coming and going and medical equipment to make sure the dog isn't going to go crazy when they bring a stretcher in.

Can you please say WHY you specifically want a GSD? Nothing in your story says why you want the breed seems you don't think highly of them (all aggressive monsters) so not seeing the appeal for you guys. Also, PLEASE do not get a puppy while you have a 6 month old puppy you will drive yourself crazy with 2 young puppies.

You haven't given enough information about you to say if the breed is right for you at all so more information would be appreciated. If you forced me to make an assumption based on the little bit you said I'd probably have to say no but again more info would help greatly.

Jinx vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Knighted Member

I kinda laughed at "aggressive beast" and if you ever met my 2 year GSD you'd know why. He still cries sometimes if a cat hisses at him.

First of all, I think you sound like a very smart and mature young person. Its excellent that you're doing the research to help your family make what I believe is a very important decision.

My first GSD was a puppy and my second 4 years old when I brought them home. I definately think getting an older dog thats been tested and approved good with other dogs and children is the easiest way to go. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Carrie

Mac - 4 year old GSD
Bart - 9ish year old GSD/Akita
& 3 Cats Buffy, Rusty & Magoo
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Knighted Member

Where are you located? Did you see this link?
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...loudon-tn.html

Carrie

Mac - 4 year old GSD
Bart - 9ish year old GSD/Akita
& 3 Cats Buffy, Rusty & Magoo
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am a bit confused. Are YOU looking for another puppy or your parents? You seem very bonded with the puppy you have. Why not leave well enough alone?

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Crowned Member

As a breeder......I would not find your situation ideal for a small/young GSD puppy.
Perhaps an older puppy 10mos+ or an adult.....depending on the individual animal.
JMO

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Master Member

From What I understand it looks like her dad wants a GSD and she is kinda scared for her grandma and puppy.

Ask your dad if he's willing to get an older dog not a puppy. GSDs require hard work, it's much easier getting an adult already trained than raising a pup with your grandma and your puppy. two puppies at the same time is crazy. I boarded another puppy for 2 weeks and I was going nuts!!

Nadine

Tamtam - Egyptian Mau

(9-9-2011)
Juventus - GSD (RIP)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page