Spoiled or Well Trained? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Spoiled or Well Trained?

I practice NILF. I'd say I'm pretty good at it. It reminds me to reward good behavior. But lately I've had several people (including hubby) claim that my dogs are spoiled.

I'm curious if there is a fine line between the two.

I'll provide an example. Every morning when I go to work, the last 10 minutes or so I'm rushing around to get out of the house. I don't have time to mess with dogs who refuse to kennel. Therefore, every single time I ask my dogs to kennel I give them a treat. In the morning when I'm turning off lights etc., the dogs rush to their kennels. It's magic.

I feel I'm rewarding good behavior. Others state I'm spoiling my dogs.

It works for me, so I wouldn't change what I practice. But I am curious if my dogs appear to be spoiled, or well trained.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Crowned Member

Based on that example alone, I don't see an issue with what you're doing. They're going to be sitting in a crate all day while you're at work, why not give them a treat to reward them for running to the crate when they know they'll be in there all day?

In my old house, we had 3 dogs at the time and the neighbors had 5. The dogs all got to fence fighting and running back and forth, blowing off our calls to them. I started giving mine a small treat each time they would come in the house from outside, and before long mine were flying to me and the neighbors dogs still blew him off.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:51 AM

I don't know... I think it depends on interpretations of the word 'spoiled'. I personally don't think they are, as I interpret 'spoiled' as being rewarded while having done little remarkable to deserve it.

I've been told my dogs are spoiled because I buy them Fromm dog food and take them places with me. These comments come from people who buy their dogs little outfits and let them sleep on the couch and feed them scraps of food from the table because 'they didn't seem to want their dog food.'

And so I interpret these dogs as spoiled.

SG2 CAC Discoe vom haus Huro, BH, AD, CD, TDI, CGC-A, CGC, HOT, OFA-Excellent, CERF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RIP Reba von Treue Freundschaft, CGC, TDI
May 11, 2005 - May 23, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Crowned Member

I think it's entirely possible to be both.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Crowned Member

Looks like they have YOU well trained.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing, we toss a treat into puppies crates to teach them that going in is a wonderful thing!

Carolina Johnson

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:55 AM

There are certain things that my dogs always get treated for... going to their crates or recalling are two of those. These are behaviors that I want to have positive associations with always so I don't care that every time I touch the treat jar, they run to their crates. I want that. I don't think it's spoiled at all.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:01 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

My dogs run to the garage pen when we leave too. I ALWAYS give them a biscuit - we have a container on top of a cabinet right next to the door. The go in, sit, and wait for their treat. No muss, no fuss. I don't think that's spoiled at all, it's behavior that I think is worth rewarding, so I do. Never had any issues with separation anxiety or having to chase a dog around the house to corral them so we can leave.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Knighted Member

Dh practice NILF, I don't. The funny thing is Koda knows he can get away with stuff with me. But I don't care, I DO spoil him.

PSA- PDC
Rest in Peace my boys
Zeus 2000-2009
Odin 2010-2011
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Therefore, every single time I ask my dogs to kennel I give them a treat. In the morning when I'm turning off lights etc., the dogs rush to their kennels. It's magic.

No, I don't think you're spoiling your dogs. This is classic conditioning, might be operant...I get them confused. Magic would be if the dogs went to work, and you got to stay home.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Crowned Member

According to my in laws, Wolfie is very spoiled. The reason? He has toys!! Oh the horrors! Christmas Day, my mother in law said " Dogs are dogs, they aren't supposed to have toys! You are spoiling him! He thinks he's human!" Do I think that your dogs are spoiled for getting a treat for going in their crates? Absolutely not, but you shouldn't take my word for it. I am the supreme dog spoiler.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page