Using the E-collar - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Using the E-collar

Which is correct when you use the e-collar.

I have used one before and I always trained giving a low nick stimulation after the command, if the dog failed to comply.

I bought a new collar yesterday and read through the manual: which says to stimulate at low levels while you give the command and establish the relation between the stimulation and the command, then allow the dog to avoid the stimulation when he complies.

The way in the manual seems to take a step back and not allow the dog to get right the way I already trained him. Is this a way of making the dog sharper to the command? or is it wrong all together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 04:34 PM

To me, the first one is more correct. The way that I have always collar conditioned my dogs and was taught to do is to give the command, give the dog roughly 2 seconds to comply, then give the command a second time while giving the collar correction.
So it would be:
"sit" 1, 2...
"SIT" + lowest possible stimulation until the very second that the dog begins to move into the sit, here, etc.

I'm wondering if this is what the manual was saying to do?
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Knighted Member

I've always it done it after the dog has failed to comply as well.

Jazz, Shiloh Shepherd, 5 yrs old, CGC HIC
Bunny, GSD X, 7.5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Crowned Member

The second is what I have read to do online.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Crowned Member

LOU CASTLE - ARTICLES

Read it. Learn it. Apply it.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Teeth View Post
Which is correct when you use the e-collar.

I have used one before and I always trained giving a low nick stimulation after the command, if the dog failed to comply.

I bought a new collar yesterday and read through the manual: which says to stimulate at low levels while you give the command and establish the relation between the stimulation and the command, then allow the dog to avoid the stimulation when he complies.

The way in the manual seems to take a step back and not allow the dog to get right the way I already trained him. Is this a way of making the dog sharper to the command? or is it wrong all together?

I can't understand the "while".
The dog isn't given the opportunity to comply. the command is associated directly with a correction...??

I could understand "command" no comply "correction" repeat "command", of course this would be after the dog has already been shaped and clearly understands what is being asked of them.

No experience here with e collars though.

What 'command' are you training?
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Master Member

The command turns on the electric and the execution of the command turns the electric off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahnburg View Post
The command turns on the electric and the execution of the command turns the electric off.
Exactly. Everyone I train with...including myself generally use it this way. On continuous, not nick.

For instance.....working on recall. Throw a treat, you say "FIDO HIER!" and on here the electric comes on and as they are turning to come book it back it comes off.

I personally like this better than having to issue a correction for non-compliance. You're basically not giving the option for the dog to not comply using low level stimulation.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy17 View Post
I can't understand the "while".
The dog isn't given the opportunity to comply. the command is associated directly with a correction...??

I could understand "command" no comply "correction" repeat "command", of course this would be after the dog has already been shaped and clearly understands what is being asked of them.

No experience here with e collars though.

What 'command' are you training?
You're not thinking about it in the right context. The stimuation is at a "working level" where the dog is not so uncomfortable it is truly being issued like what you would likely think of as a correction with the e-collar. No ZAP! Just a steady ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
generally use it this way.

Very good point. The e-collar is an amazing tool and can be used in myriad ways to accomplish myriad behaviors.

My previous post was an effort to keep it as simple as possible for newer trainers.

Art

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page