Here's my dilemma - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Here's my dilemma

OK--I have had to hire a dog walker--she is not a professional dog walker --just a neighborhood kid...Sib is TERRIBLE on leash..except for in the back yard..So tonite on my way home from work I see said dog walker limping because Sib has pulled her down again..Let me go back a little--Dog walker was having no luck with prong collar combined with Gentle Leader because Sib was coming home with marks accross her nose which told me walker was not using Gentle Leader correctly..So, I bought a 20' leash and said "Just get her around the block" So tonite I went out front and started from scratch..walk til she pulls --turn her around etc etc for about 20 mins til she finally got it (but I'm sure only for tonite)--So finally here comes my question...Am I doing more harm than good to Sib by letting someone walk her who doesn't make her mind or is the excercize worth it? The walker just can't do what I can do with Sib so I understand that...
but if it's going to confuse the dog, I will fire the walker. Does this even make sense? This on lease problem is an on going problem (like for 2 years now) so I accept no quick cures--just want my girl to get some extra excercize.. Please help with your opinions..
Jan

Sibi-
Zoe..R.I.P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 06:30 PM

well the things that would concern me is 1. having a kid do it 2. could this kid stop a dog fight should one ensue? 3. is the kid going to get 'hurt' , maybe not intentionally walking the dog?

How about if the kid just played hard with Sib in the backyard for say, an hour each day vs walking him around the hood?

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 06:46 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I agree with Diane, if I had a dog walker I'd want to make sure they were willing and able to enforce the same rules about polite leash walking (or anything else for that matter!) that I do. It might not be a huge deal if she already walked great on leash, but since you're still trying to train her, I think that a dog walker allowing her to get away with stuff that you don't want her to do would be counterproductive to your training. Plus as Diane pointed out, it could be a safety issue too.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 07:29 PM

The gentle leader would also rub hair off my dogs nose. I switched to the NewTrix collar, and it is wonderful. It also doesn't wrench their neck sideways if they pull. It has been an excellent training tool. Dax is starting to do well on just his flat collar now.

Newtrix - Our Products
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Banned

The canny collar is what I'd recommend, it's similar to that newtrix but less complicated (appearing, anyway).

Dog training collar No-pull dog training collar

That said...I can't imagine how using a prong along with a gentle leader would work, it's two different mechanisms to use either correctly.

And...if your yard is fenced, I too would recommend just having the kid throw the ball or play with the dog for a while, and not go for walks. That sounds like a bad accident waiting to happen, plus you're relying on someone else to train your dog and it doesn't seem to be working.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Crowned Member

This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Clearly the kid is trying, but it's too much dog for the kid to handle. "Just get him around the block" is scary sounding to me. Your dog is either going to get loose, in a bad dog fight (whether he starts it or not), and/or the kid is going to get really hurt.

You either need to hire a professional who can handle a big strong dog, or you need to just pay the kid to play ball in the backyard with your dog. A walk around the block isn't going to do anything for exercise/energy release anyway. Playing ball would be better in that regard. If it's just a potty break thing, then playing in the backyard will accomplish that as well.

Have you ensured the prong is actually fitted properly?
99% of society is fitting them incorrectly, way too loose, and thus not nearly as effective
Leerburg | How to fit a Prong Collar
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Well I see the prong collar is too loose--also said kid is 17 years old (still a kid to me) but has 2 rotts of her own--Thought she could handle the job--as far as going into the back yard and playing for awhile I do not need to pay someone to do that --though that is a good idea... I will talk with Niki as to how she feels about all of this before I make a decision....But having her get hurt is NOT an option...By the way, she put fliers out for this job..I didn't hunt her down. Thanks for the help.
Jan

Sibi-
Zoe..R.I.P
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Tough I said it "just get her around the block" I have spent more time than that trying to show Niki How I want things done--I have walked with her and with Sib and demonstrated the best I know on how to restrain Sib--how to always be aware of other dogs, squirrels etc. So even though it was me that made it sound like I just let her loose with the dog--this is not how it went down..Sorry I didn't make myself more clear.. The ploblem with Sib on the leash may well never be solved--however we went to Ace hardware this weekend, to lunch and other places and she was quite good on the leash then...I will continue to take her out front and work her myself in the fashion I want her worked..I think maybe she isn't going to behave for someone else..Is that a possibility? NIki uses the same commands I taught her but Sib just blows her off..

Sibi-
Zoe..R.I.P
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 AM

They are just like kids, and know who they can railroad!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Knighted Member

I wouldn't trust anyone that my dog can take advantage of. To many things could go wrong. If the kid is really serious about taking care of dogs and walking dogs, maybe you could go to a few classes together. This way she will learn how to handle your dog properly since working in the yard isn't doing it. Thowing the ball should be enough until you get to be 100% sure she can handle your dog.
Yesterday afternoon my husband took Lakota for a walk, 20 years the man never wanted to walk a dog (maybe once, but he said we walked to fast for him). I almost fell off my chair when he called to ask me if he could take her. He used the prong but took off the nylon slip collar. Tried to explain if the prong came undone what would you do? He said the prong wont come undone. See I don't even trust my husband with the dogs.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page