Amichien Bonding? Anyone? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Amichien Bonding? Anyone?

Ok so now that I have read "The Dog Listener", I am convinced it makes sense. I am trying to apply the 4 principles to daily life and even has hubby on the bandwagon. I have to admit sometimes it's not easy, I don't like to eat when I first wake up but now I eat a banana in front of them. I have changed a lot of our routine. The 5 minute rule is tuff. It used to be more convenient to feed the critters first but now we eat first.
I realize that, my 7 yr old female, Kiya, still thinks she's the boss. It's been 2 weeks since I brought the kitten home and I still will not trust the dogs, specially her. She's not vicious but she'll fixate and given the opportunity she'll charge the crate kitty is in. The other 2 dogs can walk by without even acknowledging the kitten. Lakota just wants to play, but she's ruff so I'm being careful. The kitten was on the kitchen counter and I let them sniff but Lakota kept trying to mouth too much.
I know it's only been a couple of days that I have been practicing, I believe I see a difference in the other 2 dogs but not her. Even Lakota almost 2yrs old has intervened between Kiya and the kitty at least 3 different times. I watch the dogs like hawks and I see the calming signals in action and it really is pretty amazing. One time Kiya was laying down, fixating on the crate giving low growls and Lakota stood inbetween her and the kitten. Another time, she got in Kiya's face because Kiya was barking at the crate, Kiya did back off. A lot of times I just take her by the collar and put her in the sunroom, alone. Doesn't seem to phase her.
I refuse to give up, it's my house, my rules and the kitten is staying. My other cat Misty is starting to slightly warm up to the kitten.
So does anyone practice these principles with their pack?

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Knighted Member

Is that a book? It sounds interesting, off to google

Is this her, I used to watch her shows years ago and from memory I liked her.

http://www.janfennellthedoglistener.com/page.php?id=3

Miss Molly Moo (aka The Piranha/The four legged Mouth) GSD 31/10
Raennik Hassan (Cooper) GSD 19/10/11
Paris Tabby Cat 15 years
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Master Member

i have read the book (sent to me a loooong time ago by a member of this forum.. unfortunately cant remember his username, if you're here let me know) and I've practiced what she preached. My dog was the most well behaved and well adjusted dog ever. LOL (slight exaggeration)

I am rereading it again as i prepare for the arrival of my new pup in a couple of weeks. A great book that i recommend to anyone getting a new pup or even already owning one.

Nadine

Tamtam - Egyptian Mau

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(9-9-2011)
Juventus - GSD (RIP)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca View Post
Is that a book? It sounds interesting, off to google
Yes "The Dog Listener" is a book. I am going to check out the website. I also got "The Other End of The Leash" just started that yesterday.
Who knew after 50 years of loving dogs, I had it all wrong

I am still out on the the hug thing, my 1st GSD Cheyenne hugged back and oddly enough Apache gives hugs too.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Crowned Member

I hired one of their associates last spring. It's a lifetime contract but we haven't called her in a while. It was an interesting experience I'd recommend their books and training methods with no problem. Like any training program consistency is the key.

Find a Dog Listener to deal with dog behaviour, dog obedience, dog trainers, puppy training, dog rescue assistance, canine behaviour, canine obedience by Jan Fennell the Dog Listener Amichien Bonding
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
I hired one of their associates last spring. It's a lifetime contract but we haven't called her in a while. It was an interesting experience I'd recommend their books and training methods with no problem. Like any training program consistency is the key.
The closest is in CT so I can only imagine what that would cost. Do you still adhere to the program? Did you have a specific problem that made you try?
I know like anything else change doesn't happen over night. My one problem dog, Kiya, is also on meds so she's going to be a tuff nut to crack.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 12:02 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I read the book and found it odd - She lays out some rules, but does not really go into depth as to why one should do what she recommends. I think it is a good basic book for people who lack leadership skills and have always allowed their dogs to run the household, but I don't see how it will change your relationship with your dogs if you already have a good bond or mutual respect, and if your dogs are already focused and willing to follow directions from you.

She also just mentions along the way that she calls her 'system' Amichien Bonding, but never explains what the word means, or how she came up with it. And nothing new or earth shattering about her system, just common sense to me - and I've never worried about the eat first before the dog thing, never been a problem feeding my dogs first.

(And in case you are wondering, Amichien is a compound mad-up word from the two French words 'Ami' [friend] and 'chien' [dog].)

I was glad I bought the book second-hand, since I didn't feel it was very valuable to me, but others might find that it is just what they need.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015

Last edited by Castlemaid; 11-11-2011 at 12:04 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Crowned Member

I always feed Rafi before I feed myself and have no issues with him looking to me for leadership. I also let him go out the door first, unless I need him to wait and then I just tell him to wait and he waits.

He is extremely well behaved and an excellent listener. He is super attentive to me because I am the most fun and interesting thing in the world to him. My bonding exercises with Rafi have all been about having fun, not about "showing him who's boss." I have trained him differently than any other dog and he is the best listener and most well behaved dog I've ever had. He is a thinking dog, not a robot, and he chooses to listen to me in all situations, not because I've forced him to but because he truly enjoys working with me.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWowMeow View Post
I have trained him differently than any other dog and he is the best listener and most well behaved dog I've ever had. He is a thinking dog....and he chooses to listen to me in all situations..... because he truly enjoys working with me.
Ruth,

Please elaborate, it would really help us less-experienced people.

thanks
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I think I have a good bond with my dogs, but I don't always get 100% of what I ask. I think I may have lost a little confidence in myself over the years. Maybe thats what they are picking up on. I feel like I'm missing something. Maybe such extreems aren't really necessary, maybe Kiya is just the dog she is and I have to manage her. Lakota is still very immature and she's gotten the most training out of all the dogs I've ever had so she should shape up fine.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page