What can my significant other do with our trained dog to teach her how to work? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

What can my significant other do with our trained dog to teach her how to work?

My SO finally decided she wants to get engaged with training our schutzhund dog. Until now, I did the training and she was just a handler (to me, that means that I taught all new behaviors until they were solid, at which point I told her she may start using them now when she's out with him).

Anyway, she really wants to get some engagement and focus from him and learn how to train new behaviors in dogs (work on timing, reading the dog, managing the environment, etc).

The only problems:
1. I'm worried about letting her work him on OB things that he's not completely solid on - I don't want to mess up things we work on by having her work on them concurrently. I know that it takes time to develop timing and learn how to reward good behaviors and ignore bad behaviors. That's why, I'd rather leave the SchH OB stuff to me and let her do something else with him, which leads me to:
2. What can she work with him on? I want some cool ideas - some simple behaviors she can work with right away and some complex behavior so that she can learn ideas of back-chaining and breaking things up to smaller pieces, etc.

Don't know if my post makes sense - I'll be happy to provide more info if you need it.

So, let's hear the advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Elite Member

honestly I'm with you on not having her mess up your SchH training my husband depoyed shortly after getting Jinx and I'm always freaked that hes gonna screw up the training. Things you have already proofed I'd let her use the commands if she does them properly if not Id cut those out too. If she really wants to train with him I'd let her do some engagement work and then do something simple like the 101 stupid pet tricks book or something similar let her teach him to shut cabinets, drawers, turn off lights put his toys away for more complex things. Let her teach the fun party tricks sort of things so it has nothing to do with what you are doing and she can still train.

Jinx vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page